Chp. 22

***BROOKLYN'S POV***

My eyes tried to adjust, but all I could see was darkness. It was surrounding me, and all I could hear was my heart beat in my chest. It was so loud it sounded like I was in a club standing right next to the speaker, and I couldn't focus on anything.

I spoke, "Allison?"

But it was silent, and all of a sudden I wanted to cry, but I couldn't. I was in danger, and my body wasn't letting me give up just yet.

Then I heard jangling... like it was...

Car keys.

I wasn't petrified, but I was scared, and as I started moving I heard the jangling increase... where was it coming from?

I felt in front of me, but only felt space, and I was searching for anything... a light, the keys, a wall... anything.

I was terrified for the lights to be off, but what if they came on and the man would be standing in front of me? Axe in hand?

Or what if I saw Allison? And she was lying lifeless in that damn chair?

Then I would break... because I wouldn't be able to face that fact that she was really dead.

Then I ran into the door, and when my hand found the door knob, my hand found the keys that had been making all of the noise. I twisted the door knob slowly and I heard the door creak, only to lead me into the monitor room.

Had he been watching us?

I wouldn't doubt it... but where was he now? My heart began to race again, and I slowly made my way to the other extension of the basement rooms.

I needed to get out of here... but the fear was the only thing that was keeping me going. I wasn't sure how my legs were moving... but they were, and that's all I knew.

I was terrified, and I was gripping the car keys so tight in my hand my hands were burning. I wanted to scream, I was sweating...

All I wanted was Allison.

I'm not sure when it was going to actually hit me that she was gone... but when it did, it was going to hurt. I didn't want to leave her here, I didn't want to leave any of my friends here, but I had no choice...

I made it into the last room and I saw the broken window, and I searched for the trap door that led out the cabin, but I wasn't sure if I should take the more subtle way out.

I still didn't know where this freak was.

Maybe I should just go back out the window.

I made it to the window, which was about eye level with me, and I heard footsteps in the damp grass. It was drizzling, and I knew the rain was coming soon.

Then hiking boots were in my view, and I covered my mouth with my hand, muting my breathing.

What was he doing outside? How did he even get outside that quick? What was he doing outside in the rain anyway?

Then I realized he was dragging his axe, and something else, and I already knew what it was.

It was Allison.

Her torso came into view first, and then her face, her eyes were open, and I felt my heart ache at the sight. It took me everything I had not to scream out in pure horror. Those eyes were going to haunt me for the rest of my life, and as her body exited my view, I saw the burning flesh around her ears.