Chp .14

***KATE’S POV***

When I heard Brooklyn’s second scream I knew something was wrong, this scream was different from the first one, it was terrified, and I knew the man had found them. I wanted to cry, she had to be in the basement… I was just praying she was ok. 

She had to be, right?

Brooklyn was strong, strong minded, she was motivational, never ever giving up no matter what…

If she died… I don’t know if I could push through and make it out without her. 

She was my best friend… and losing her and Nathan? Well, I don’t know if I was strong enough for that, I just wasn’t. 

Lyle grabbed my hand, “We need to move, if we don’t he’s gonna find us.”

I nodded, feeling pain in my heart, I was sweating, and I didn’t want to move. The fear practically had me petrified. 

Lyle pulled me out of the room’s closet, and he went first, I watched him as he moved silently against the walls. He held out his hand for me to grab, and I did, to afraid for him to leave me behind. I wouldn’t be caught alone… there was no way in hell. 

Lyle’s hand was sweaty, and my hair was damp, had the heat been turned up or what? Was he trying to cook us? Or was it because I was so afraid? The blood was pumping through my body like I had worked out for two hours without stopping. 

Maybe that was it. 

I wanted to find Brooklyn, or Allison, just so I could have a little peace of mind. I wanted to see someone else besides me, Lyle, and the masked murderer. 

Lyle pulled me close behind him, it was dark now, and I was guessing it was probably around 9:30 at night. It felt like the entire night had passed but I was wrong, barely anything had passed, especially since Nathan’s death.

Everything was going in slow motion. 

I felt exhausted  and the night had just started, most likely because I was sweating my ass off. 

Then I was shoved back against the wall, Lyle covering my mouth with his hand. My heart rate went frantic, the heat suddenly getting twenty degrees hotter then it was before, and I knew exactly why Lyle was keeping me quiet. 

The man was getting out what looked like a trap door, it was the trap door to the basement. 

It was dark in the room we were in, so we were hidden quite well, but if we made a noise we would be done. The man slammed the trap door down, covering it with a rug and standing still, as if he was listening.

I held my breath, praying to God that he wouldn’t hear us and turn around. 

It felt like an entire year passed as we stood there, still as can be, like statues. I tried to calm my heart but I couldn’t, sweat was falling slowly down the sides of my face and making my hair cling to my face even more.