Chapter 31: Everblaze

The story of an angel hybrid.

''''Germany, year: 1573''''

~Niki's pov~

"Niki!"

There came a small tug at my velvet colored skirt. I looked down at the little girl who was standing beside me on this cold, December day.

I smile down at the petite little girl, the blonde streaks in the front of my dark brown hair were blown into my face by the frigid wind.

"Hello Amira! What are you doing outside?" I sniffled, holding my basket close to my apron.

The little girl shivered in the snow, but managed to inform me of what was going on.

"Everett is sick again. Mother sent me to fetch you. She is worried that he won't live through it this time." Amira mumbled, concerned for her little brother's safety.

I kneel down on the frozen ground, and use my gloves to wipe the tears off her rosy face. I then reach into my pocket and pull out an object wrapped neatly in parchment, placing it in Amira's hand.

"Alright, dear. I need to return home to gather some materials first. Tell your mother that I'll be over shortly."

The small candy I had placed in her hand seemed to cheer her up a bit, and she nodded, running off to tell her mother that I would be over momentarily.

I rise to my feet, then continue down the abandoned street to my mother's bakery.

The extreme temperatures had forced everyone out of the streets and into the comfort of their houses. Good riddance, considering the plague has been ravaging our village. Some separation was definitely needed.

I arrive at my mother's bakery, which doubles as our house, in no time. After stepping inside, I begin to rush around, putting things away, and gathering the herbs I may need.

Whilst I am filling a flask full of our bakery's famous chicken broth, my mother's voice catches me off guard.

"Niki, what are you doing, dear?" She asked, as she watched me scamper around, grabbing things only to shove them into my basket.

"Oh, little Everett is sick again, I'm going over to Anna's house to help him."

My mother gave me a small look of disapproval, before looking out into the street.

"Did your delivery rout run smoothly? Everyone got their rations, right?"

I sigh, giggling at my mother's worry, every so slightly.

"Yes mother. Everyone got what you told me to bring them."

"Good, good. At least the people won't go hungry..." She trailed off. I glanced up from arranging the items in my basket, only for her to cast her gaze over at me.

"Niki... have you been thinking of getting a husband? You're already nineteen, and, yet, you don't seem to have any worry about that at all. Most girls in our villages are married off by now... I only want what is best for you... I don't want people to think that you are weird..."

I gave my mother a sympathy smile, grasping my basket in one hand as I walked up, and gathered her in a hug.

"I know mother. I simply don't have the time or the interest to think about things like that right now. Children are getting sick, and I'm the only one with the tools to help them."

I let my mother go, and when she still looked unsure, I sighed.

"Tell you what, if I'm not married by twenty, you can bring forth people you would think are a good match. Even then, though, I can not assure you that anyone will want to marry me. I have no dowery after all."