Chapter 10: Her Hard Truth

Haven POV

I looked behind me as my heart began to pound loudly in my ears, a long never ending hallway stretched from me at the end was the front door. I turned around and saw Charles standing with me in the kitchen holding a knife that same sick smile on his face. "You're mine...forever" his breath smelled of cigarettes and alcohol. I turned and sprinted as fast as I could but he caught me. "NO!" I screamed as my heart pumped my blood furiously through my veins faster and faster.

"I own you, you're mine bitch!" he drug me on the ground as I reached for something, anything. I yelped as he pulled me up by my hair some of it tearing from the root stinging with fire. I screamed "NO STOP IT!".

***

"HAVEN WAKE UP!" I shot up from my bed breathing heavily tears running down my face. I fought with whomever had their grip on me determined to not be taken to the basement.

"No no no no no no no" I muttered over and over like a lullaby.

"Hey it's okay it was just a nightmare" Paul cooed to me.

"No it wasn't, it was real" I say numbly sitting in my bed.

"I know, I understand" he says. I think it was meant to be comforting but it wasn't. Instead I felt anger turn in my chest with heat.

"No you don't know" I snap getting up out of bed walking out of my room. It was currently 4:30pm on a Saturday. I had tried to take a nap because my dreams have been riddled with nightmares. Therapists and sleeping pills only go so far.

"What?" He asks faintly behind me and I turn to him.

"You have no idea what I went through. Having a doctor medically write down what is wrong with me doesn't give you a pass of understanding. You have no idea what it's like, do you want me to show you what he did to me? what I will never get back?" I snap and raise my shirt from my stomach. "He made sure only to cut on places that could be covered with clothing. So my sides were is playground for a while". I saw Lara's eyes had started to water and then a tear slid down her face.

My sides are littered with disgusting scars but the worst by far is my back. "What about this?" I turned around and lifted my shirt. Bumpy wrinkled skin was there I know it. I looked in the mirror at it daily. Scars on top of scars where Charles had whipped over top of old wounds. Lumps and chunks of my skin scared and missing, the scars have turned into divots. "This can't be fixed, this will forever be a constant reminder of what he did to me. I was whipped over and over and over. In the end it was almost as if he were finding excuses to do it. Sadist" I muttered. Lara was crying now and my brother had gone silent.

I put my shirt down and turned to him. "You will NEVER understand what I've been through and I pray to god you never find out. The day I got most of these was the scariest day of my life. I realized then that I was dead inside. I had given up the will to live. I wasn't going to be saved, and I knew it. My 18th birthday is one I will never forget as long as I live. I can't hug someone without flinching, I can't hold a knife without crying. I can barely look at your basement door. Every time a man walks towards me I see him. You don't know this, this is a different kind of broken. So don't tell me you know, you understand" I clipped Obi-Wan's leash on to him, grabbed my bag and walked out of the door.

I walked down the street heading for the park, yesterday after school Lara took me over here and told me how to get here from the house. I sit below a tall tree and looked out at the different people. All ages from young toddler to old people. I looked at the young teenagers grouped together with books and I envied what they have. I will never get that.

Pressure builds behind my eyes and a tear slides down my cheek. I take a deep breath and move my hand to my back. I flinch and cringe when I feel the bumps and ridges from the scars. I slowly move my hand along the scars feeling what I can reach and a choked sob leaves my throat. I rip my hand away as if it were burned and cradle it to my chest. Ugly. My heart ached in my chest.

I reached my hand down to my sides and felt the long scars there too and I let out another sob. I look at my leg that was clad in leggings knowing what my thighs looked like. "No men but the ones who pay will want you now" I repeated to myself what Charles had said to me when he was cutting my thighs. Who am I to think otherwise.

I leaned my head against the dark bark as a painful and heartbreaking tear slid down my cheek. What an ugly human being you've made me Charles, but that's what you always wanted isn't it? to make me feel like a monster who could never be loved. You wanted to break me...well congratulations, consider me broken.

_____________________________________________

Hey everyone Author here! I know this chapter is very short but hopefully this will tide you over until I can get a full chapter out. I just got a new job so I have been super busy and logging a LOT of hours so I can get that PHAT paycheck ;). So so so sorry it has been taking so long for me to update but please be patient! I promise I will write more soon :))))) <3

The Next Chapter should come out on Friday, maybe sooner. I am trying to set a schedule for updates. It's hard because I don't know my work schedule yet. I will be updating a lot more this week hopefully! I have sort've become inactive on this app but I am trying to get everything up to date. You can read up to chapter 12 on Inkitt!!