Chapter 20: Her Heartbreak

I got up and read the clock 10:00. I had an hour to get ready to meet Emily. I got dressed throwing on whatever clothes I found and headed to the cafe.

Emily met me outside and asked to walk around. She looked nervous. Like she was about to throw up or faint...or both.

"Haven can I talk to you about something?" Emily said. I walked along the cobble stone court yard. I watched her curled hair bounce with every step and nodded.

"I saw Easton at Carrie's party last night"

"I know he told me he was going" I shrugged. The more Easton and I played the happy couple the more it began to feel like we weren't faking it anymore. Being with him was weirdly natural. That spark I felt the night of the carnival kiss cam caught us and I felt elephants in my stomach. Unlike anything I'd ever felt before. It felt real. Genuine.

Emily sighed deeply before stopping and abruptly turning to face me. She fiddled with her fingers and refused to look me in the eyes. We were the same height I didn't rush her I knew she was nervous but I am not going to lie the longer she took to answer a weird pit in my stomach settled.

"Carrie kissed him" she drawled. I swear I just heard my heart crack. My stomach bottomed out but I thought 'well maybe he pushed her off or something' but those thoughts were squashed as Emily said. "And he didn't push her off...he actually seemed to...enjoy...it. And after talking to a few other girls on the squad, this isn't the first time"

I froze my heart fractured and fractured again. It felt like a scalding hot knife seared my heart and with every word she spoke it turned a little more. I didn't know it was happening until Emily hugged me, I was in a frozen state as my legs gave out and white hot tears seared my cheeks with fire. The salty taste entered my mouth and Emily caught me as I fell. I replayed every moment with him and suddenly everything, every moment we had, every caring word, every touch truly started to feel like a lie. The flirty conversations at lunch. The kiss cam at the carnival. Him holding me in his arms. How he kissed my tears when I was in a flashback. I saw every memory lose its color and turn grey. Bitterness sunk into my heart and I sobbed into Emily's shoulder. I gripped her for dear life trying to keep myself together.

I had fallen for Easton and gotten my heart broken all without even actually dating him. All I could ask myself was why. And I hadn't realized I had asked it out loud until Emily said "I'm sorry I don't know. He seemed so...in love with you. I'm sorry"

I just held her and cried for as long as I needed to. We talked and after I was done crying I stood up and headed to my car and we drove back to the house ready for some answers.

***

"Em go on inside and take Westley out back. No matter how loud it gets. Don't come in until I tell you" her mouth opens to protest but she nods. We walk into the house and she grabs Westley and Obi and heads outside ignoring the protests of Wes.

I walked into the living room and leaned on the wall. He was laying on his side watching tv. I walked up and hit my foot against the couch. He nodded towards me which only fueled my anger. I snatched the remote and turned off the tv.

"Umm I was watching that" he says sitting up. I sit on the coffee table in front of him contemplating my words. "what's up?" he asks his demeanor changing as he reads the room.

Tears threaten to spill as I clench my fists. "I am going to give you the opportunity to be honest with me."

"Oo-Kay" he drags out in a confused tone.

"What happened at Carrie's party last night and what are you hiding from me?" he stiffened

"Nothing hap-"

"Don't. Lie" my voice was dangerously low.

"She kissed me" I sucked in a breath and he flinched.

Already knowing the answer I ask my next question. "Is this the first time you've kissed someone other than me since we've been here?" he sighed looking defeated.

"No" my heart and breath give out at his answer.

I laugh standing up and pacing.

"Why do I feel like I'm suddenly on trial here? can you walk me through exactly what I've done wrong?" he says standing.

"Keep the cover and stay safe that is the goal here. Not stick your tongue down the cheerleading teams THROATS EASTON."

"DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HARD THIS HAS BEEN FOR ME?" he asks and I scoff.

"For you? how hard this has been for you?" regret instantly flashed through his features.

"Haven" he said his voice proving guilt.

"Do you have any idea what this is doing to ME? I was beaten raped and violated repeatedly for years. I lost hope on living and was rescued. Then I was shoved into going back to school. Found out I had a hit put on my likely by my father moved to yet another new place. Hard for you!" I guffawed "Do you have to live with the fact that your dad never loved you? do you have to live with the memories of being tortured in a basement and if those weren't enough the permanent memory of my back and body forever changed. Do you have to live with the fact that you've constantly put everyone you love in danger including strangers?"

"I trusted you. After everything I've been through I trusted you with my heart. And you broke it. I TRUSTED YOU. EVEN WITH HOW MY DAD WAS MY EXPERIENCE WITH MEN IN THE PAST. I TRUSTED YOU AND YOU BROKE ME. I GAVE YOU MY HEART AND YOU BROKE IT AND TOSSED IT ASIDE. GOD I WISH I COULD HATE YOU. YOU MAKE ME SO-"

"Your heart?" Easton whispers to himself confused.

"Haven!" Westley calls.

"I'm kinda busy at the moment" I sniffle.

"Just got a text from Officer Pruitt turn on the news" he says coming into the room. Easton takes the remote halfway glancing at me and turns on the news.

Charles photo lights up the screen and my heart stops my blood running cold. In bold red letters 'Wanted Killer at Large'

"The suspect is in mid to late 40's. He killed 8 guards this morning and escaped. If you are to come into contact with this man do not engage. He is armed and dangerous. Connecticut Police and the FBI are working to track him down. He is believed to have a partner and is chasing down his daughter who was moved into protective custody. Again this man's name is Charles Scott. He escaped this morning from Connecticut State penitentiary. He is at large and considered armed and dangerous"

I could barely breathe. My legs faltered ready to give out but I stood my ground.

This isn't happening. This isn't happening. This isn't happening.