Wrong kind of doctor

Chosen prompt in this post: https://joviewinchester.tumblr.com/post/660902046898225152/october-2021-writing-challenge
 Prompt 3: "So... I think I'm haunted."

_________

It was late, the night quiet and cold besides the muttering of a doctor refusing to turn in for the night. Working his mind to the edge to get these formulas right- and of course tend to the more difficult patients files. Of course, no side projects here.

This all would be interrupted by a worried father living alone.

Knock knock knock.

"What?" The doctor mutters, hearing the door and getting up from his desk to go see who would be here so late in the night. He actually has a few guesses.

"Uh.. Hey, doc." The one at the door is revealed; it's Chase! "Can I come in?"

Henrik sighs and nods, stepping back to let the other in. Might as well, he came all this way and there's just busy work to deal with right now.

"Well? What's going on Chase?" The doctor starts, leading the way to a few seats. He gets the idea this will be a conversation to sit down for.

"Uh.. I think I'm haunted." Chase decides to get it right out of the way. No use to wasting time, this is important stuff and-

The doctor chuckles. "Haunted? What do you mean by that?" He tilts his head. Of course this reaction is to deflect from possibilities that he could draw to. He doesn't want those to be true.

Chase however, does not see it as a cope response, but as disbelief and dismissive. "You don't believe me? I- I've been feeling so strange lately and my house keeps freaking out on me!"

Henrik frowns. "Strange? What kind?" Oh no.

"The.. the feeling like my body is acting weird. Not all me." Chase says awkwardly, looking down at the floor. "Thought maybe you could help?"

"I'm not good with hauntings, Chase. But I can do a basic checkup on you." Henrik says after a moment, standing back up and gesturing for the other to follow. "Are you sure you've been handling yhour meds and eating right?"

"Yeah yeah. I've been doing good." Chase says, getting up and following the doctor to his in home office. That strange feeling there with him as he speaks.

If only he saw the shadow left behind on the couch.