twelve

TW: mention of abuse

George's POV

I walked over to my bedroom door and opened it, "Riley? What are you doing up here?"

"Have you seen Ava? She drank some of Mom's vodka and she doesn't like to drink. She came up here to use the restroom but she's not in there anymore." 

I gulped, "Uh, nope. I haven't seen her but, I'll keep a look out." I smiled, before slowly closing my door. But before I could close it fully, Riley pushed it open and walked into my room. 

"Well, I also came up here to tell you something." Riley said, her arms crossed.

"You could've said that instead of barging into my room." 

"I know, I know I'm sorry." 

I sighed, I closed the door behind me and sat on my bed, "What is it?" 

"I uh, wanted to say I'm proud of you."

"For what?"

"Hitting 9 million! It's a huge deal and-" 

"So let me get this straight, you're rude to me all throughout High School, you pick Dad over me and Mom, you don't even say a word to me while you're gone and now, you're back and wanna congratulate me? You never congratulated me when I hit 8 million, or 7 million, or none of my other huge milestones, so why now huh?" 

 "George I- wait, pick Dad over you and Mom? Have you not seen the way Mom treats me? She acts like I'm some kind of disease and she wants to get rid of me! I just got back and she's already looking for apartments for me to move into, she hasn't asked me once about how my getaway was. She never cared about me, she always made me the bad guy! Dad isn't like that, Dad is-" 

"An abuser? An alcoholic?" 

"He stopped drinking, he's better now. And, he never abused anyone-" 

"THAT'S A LIE! HE ABUSED ME RILEY!" 

Her eyes widened, "Wh- What?" 

I felt my eyes start to get watery. I sniffled, "One night, when Mom and Dad we're arguing in the kitchen, I went to go see what was happening and I saw- I saw Dad hit Mom." 

"She fell to the ground and I went to go make sure she was okay. Next thing you know, Dad hits me in the back of my head, I guess that was the last straw for Mom and so, she kicked him out." 

"That- no. No, George you're lying. Why didn't you guys tell me?"

"Mom thought it was best if not all of his kids hated him so, she made me swear I'd never tell you." 

Riley began to cry, "No. No, that's a lie. YOU'RE LYING!" 

"WHY WOULD I LIE ABOUT SOMETHING LIKE THAT RILEY? THIS IS SERIOUS!" 

"HE'S NOT A BAD GUY! HE'S OUR DAD-"

"YOUR DAD. HE'S YOUR DAD, NOT MINE." 

"I'm not dealing with your lies, I wish I never came up here in the first-" Riley stopped walking and looked at my night stand, she picked up something and observed it. 

"This- This is Ava's ring."

My eyes widened, I looked at the ring in her hands then back up at her, "Why the hell is my best friends ring in your room."

"Uh..." My eyes moved onto the closet. 

Riley followed my eye movements and stared at the closet, she walked up to it.