5. The best thing that ever happened to me

POV Haziran

When I pass by the reception of the hotel, Mert calls out to me. He seems worried.

- Something's wrong ? I ask.

- I don't know but Poyraz seemed really angry when he came back.

- Where he is ?

- By the sea I think.

- Thanks, Mert.

I go outside, then go down the stairs to the beach and actually spot Poyraz, sitting on a deckchair by the water. He has his head down and does appear angry. I come and sit on the deckchair next to him, turned towards him, and put a hand on his thigh. He looks up to gaze into mine and tries to smile at me in vain. Now that I see his gaze, I know he's not only angry but also hurt.

- Something went wrong with your grandma ?

He has a small laugh devoid of humor.

- This is an understatement ! He comments.

- What happened ?

- It's her who repaid the loan.

- How did she ?

- That's the problem ! He exclaims, angry. She asked the money to my mother ! Can you believe it ?!

- To your mother ?, I repeat with shock. But why ?

He looks away, so I grab one of his hands in mine.

- Poyraz, you know you can tell me anything.

- Of course, I know. I just... I don't want to hurt you.

- I need you to talk to me, I can hear it.

- She... She thinks it's better for me to owe this woman money than to have a loan with you. Well, she used the word "connection".

- That's...

- The most stupid thing ever ? Yeah, I know !

That's not really what I had in mind, but...

- We are married and she's worried about a loan, seriously ?, he add.

- Did you told her ?

- Yes.

- And ?

- She replied that divorce exist. I'm so angry against her ! How could she did that to me ? And how can she get involved in our marriage ?

- You already knew what she was thinking about us... She told you enough in all her messages.

He jumps on his feet, pacing back and forth.

- Yes but it annoys me ! How can she make that kind of talk while looking me straight in the eye ?!

I stand up in turn, placing myself in front of him to stop him. I grab his face in my hands, forcing him to look me in the eyes.

- You said we'll live our lives without carring about what they say or think about us, don't you ?

- Yes but...

- It's annoying, I know. And after everything you've been through, I don't understand how she ever got to see this woman. She must really hate me more than I imagined...

- Haziran... He sighs, resting his forehead against mine.

- Don't worry, I'm okay. It's me who is worried for you...

- I'm... I wont talk to her for a while or I... I risk to say things I'll regret later.

- You're such a good man, Poyraz. And you have such a golden heart. You don't deserve that...