23. A well thought out plan

This day was definitely not going as we had planned Poyraz and me.

Last weekend, our friends helped us move into our new home - and we were FINALLY able to get Zorba back with us ! And, this Sunday, we had decided to celebrate our housewarming party and, as the first three months of pregnancy have officially passed for two weeks now, we wanted to take advantage of this moment to officially announce it.

We had planned everything. Starting with a fake good excuse to get everyone together without it seeming suspicious but relevant enough for my mother and his grandmother to make the effort to come to the same lunch where they should to bear each other.

Despite the indescribable desire to share the news with everyone (well, except with my mother and his grandmother for whom we were very happy to postpone) we had stuck to the decision we had made to tell it only to our best friends. Thus, among our guests, only Alper, Melisa and Biricik knew it.

But it wasn't just them at this lunch, so we had to move the furniture to install a removable table in addition to our dining room one, which was already huge.

Poyraz and I were in the center, to be in the middle of everyone. Biricik was next to me in eternal support, then Beyazit, Selma teyzecim, my mother at the end of the table, then Latif, Gorkem and Nehir. Next to Poyraz, his own supporters, first Alper then Melisa, and then Sadik at the end of the table, Batu and Idil and, finally, right in the middle of the table, directly opposite Poyraz and me: Aliye teyze, which was therefore strategically between Nehir and Idil.

A well thought out plan.

I don't know how we managed to convince ourselves that it would go well. We thought that with all these people present, my mother and Aliye teyze would simply find a way to ignore each other and talk to different people. That Gorkem's humor would lighten the mood. That being between Nehir and Idil would appease Aliye teyze. Just as my mother would be soothed to be surrounded by Selma teyze, Latif and Gorkem.

But it was a failure. A big fat total failure.

The situation didn't take long to get out of hand. Let's say that we should perhaps consider ourselves lucky that the atmosphere was maintained throughout the aperitif and then the starter. But then we moved on to the main dish. There Aliye teyze made a remark about the cooking of my meat - obviously without knowing that it was Poyraz who had taken care of it, the responsibility for the starter being more than enough for my cooking talents - and my mother reacted immediately to defend me. I don't know if it was really about that, come to think of it, I especially think that she couldn't miss a single opportunity to jump at Aliye teyze's throat.

We had now finished the main dish and their feud hadn't stopped since.

I watch my mother and Poyraz's grandmother arguing, each defending her protege by overwhelming the other. All the other guests are completely silent, having finally stopped talking because, anyway, they couldn't hear each other with all their yelling. To say that we were supposed to tell them that I was pregnant today... how are we going to fit such an announcement with the current mood ?

I was brought out of my gloomy thoughts by Poyraz covering my hand with his on the table, before squeezing it gently.

"Haziran is pregnant !" He announces cheerfully.

My mother freezes completely, Aliye teyze's furious gaze finds mine, silently accusing me as if I had killed someone and, this time, it's complete silence.

I lean slightly towards Poyraz and whisper to him:

"We said we would find the right moment."

He lets out a nervous chuckle as he lean toward me in turn and responds between his teeth, maintaining a strange smile: