Chapter Eight

MATURE!!

In the middle of the compound's ground level, was a table of twelve chairs. Klaus at one of the heads and Rieka at the other. Hayley to her right and Javen to Klaus's right.

Klaus stood up and tapped his knife to his glass, gaining everyone's attention as he begins speaking

Klaus stood up and tapped his knife to his glass, gaining everyone's attention as he begins speaking. "Let us begin with a toast to our shared gift--immortality. After a thousand years, one might expect life to be less keenly felt, for its beauties and its sorrows to diminish with time, but as vampires, we feel more deeply than humans could possibly imagine."

He uses his two fingers to signal for them to come over, and they do. They go to everyone but the two Bellissima's and Hayley as Klaus continues. "Insatiable need, exquisite pain..." He trails off then the humans cut their wrists and drain them into glasses. "Our victories," The hybrid looks at Marcel. "And out defeats. To my city, our home again," He looks at Javen with a smirk then turns to the vampires. "May the blood never cease to flow."

Marcel, begrudgingly, raises his glass as he remembers his promise to his lover. "And the party never ends."

"To New Orleans," Diego cheers falsely.

"To New Orleans," Everyone else drinks, excluding Hayley. Rieka was drinking sparkling water in a glass.

Klaus looks at his long-time friend, then at his lady as he starts talking again. "I understand that some of you may have questions regarding the recent change in leadership, and I invited you here tonight to assure you that you are not defeated. No. My intentions moving forward are to celebrate what we have, what Marcel, in fact, took..." He steps to Marcel and sets a hand on his shoulder. "And built into this--a true community of vampires."

"What about them, the wolves," Diego inquires as he points to the girls and then to Javen.

"Had you let me finish, Diego," Klaus walks around towards his mate. "You would know that there is, of course, a few further matters I would like to address," He stops behind Rieka and lays his palms on her shoulders. "This girl is carrying our child, she is my fiancé. Consequently, I trust you will all pay her, and her friend, Hayley, the appropriate respect. Javen is my right hand, similar to a brother."