xv

It was safe to say your relationship with Norton (or just overall existence around Norton) eased greatly after the small little friendly survivor match you had with Wu Chang and the three boys. Though, the fact that you and the prospector had come to an agreement wasn't the most shocking bit of that match.

What really got chatter started up in the table at dinner was the fact that Aesop and Norton ended up getting along.

With his rancid dancing skills, Norton had managed to make Aesop crack into a laughing fit - the male having spent a whole five minutes just laughing at the prospector during their time messing around with the two hunters. The two men had agreed to settle their little hatred towards each other and ended up on pretty good terms, leading you to now; sitting at the dinning table with Norton sat right across you and the embalmer. To his side, Patricia and Fiona silently snickering at your bewilderment.

"So, you three ended up getting along?" Kurt asked with an awkward laugh, scratching his neat beard.

Norton nodded, playing with the remaining pasta on his plate. "I apologized. We're on good terms."

"Ah, I see. And you're alright with this?" Emily laughed awkwardly from beside you, leaning closer to whisper in your ear. "A friendship between them two is the last thing I expected."

You gave her a side glance and nodded. "Well - who am I to control their friendships? If they get along then great. Less drama for me."

The rest of dinner was as normal as it could be in the confinement of the manor walls, chatter happening here and there - Emma choking on her food, kreacher laughing so hard he spills his drink on Freddy. You know; the usual.

By ten you were all back in your bedrooms and getting ready for another day of headache inducing matches.

Again, Aesop followed you into your room, waving goodnight to Eli who bid you both sweet dreams with a wide smile. In the room, you and the male were quick to finish up your personal matters before meeting back on the bed - the embalmers arms wrapped around you as per usual.

Your head rested on his chest, listening to the steady beating of his head along with the rhythmic movement of his breathing. Every other minute he would take an especially deep breath. "It's kinda funny how you and Norton ended up getting along." You hummed mindlessly, staring at the window that sat on the wall facing your bed.

Aesop cleared his throat, his hand going up to scratch his head. "Sorry about that; does he still make you uncomfortable?"

"No, I wouldn't say uncomfortable. I guess it'll still take more time until I'm completely normal around him."

"I can distance myself from him if you want." He offered. "I know you probably wouldn't appreciate me being friends with your archenemy, so I can keep my distance from him if that's what you want."

You shifted your head to look up at him, smiling at the sight of his unruly hair and shining grey eyes. "I actually find it adorable. You laughing is always something I love to see."

He let out an amused hum, his lips pulling into a wide grin - you were thankful he had taken his mask off for you to see. "Well his dancing was horrendous. Did you see the way he was throwing his body around?"

"Oh I saw alright. Was he trying to dab with both arms?"

The familiar sound of Aesop's laughter rung out around the room, making you grin as you watched the face you loved so much contort into one of pure unadulterated humor. "He looked like he was!"

Calming down, the two of you continued to lay there; basking in the presence of the other as usual. With you still inspecting every inch of his face and with him closing his eyes. You brought up a hand to stroke his cheek, prompting him to open his eyes back up and look at you.

"You know what?" You started, seeing him smile in amusement.

"What?" He asked quietly.

"I think I really am in love with you."

During the time you and the male had been together (although very comfortable with various forms of intimacy.) not once had either of you dared to say such a powerful word to the other. Both in the fear of the unwritten rule of soulmates and also in fear of what would come had either one said it. But right now; the moment felt so perfect for Aesop, so real.

And so despite the way of the universe - the way of human nature - he smiled bashfully, placing his hand over the one that held his cheek. "I love you too. More than anything in the world."

Aesop Carl had never felt happier.