Confrontation

“Let’s toast to the completion of our exams and our high school life!” Kayla cheered before bringing her beer mug in the air so her friends could toast to each other.

“Cheers!” everyone exclaimed with a bright smile on their face before gulping down the content in their mug.

“I can’t believe it’s finally done,” Enrico sighed before leaning his head on his hand.

“You talk like an old man,” Lesley teased, as she stabbed a fried shrimp.

“I prefer to call it maturity.”

Hearing his answer, everyone at the table restrained themselves to not make a snarky remark. Until someone couldn’t hold it anymore and laughed while snorting. Like a trigger, everyone around the table except for Enrico couldn’t contain their laughers anymore.

“I’m sorry,” Malak said to his friend, as he desperately tried to maintain a neutral expression.

“I-I’m sorry,” Bella, one of Lesley’s friends, quickly added with a chuckle.

“I can’t believe you said that!” Kayla mocked Enrico as she slapped him on the back.

Suddenly, Enrico stood up. “I’m going to the bathroom.”

The remaining friends who were still sitting around the table fell silent. They all regretted mocking their friend. They feared they had gone too far.

“Maybe someone should follow him,” Genesis said after a moment of silence.

“Come on, I’m not a girl,” Enrico exclaimed before sitting while surprising everyone.

“T-that was fast,” Genesis added with her hand on her heart.

Enrico raised an eyebrow in confusion. “I just needed to pee?”

“O-oh, I see. Well then, let’s order more food?” Genesis continued as she grabbed the menu.

“I have never been here, but the food so far is delicious!” Bella exclaimed in an attempt to bring back the cheerful atmosphere.

“Yeah, except for the price and the food portions… They are small!” Kayla complained as she ate her nth fried shrimp.

“Who told you to be such a big eater,” Enrico teased as Kayla glared at him.

“Haha, well, it’s a tapas bar. Let’s order more shrimp tempura, what do you think?” Bella asked as Kayla nodded enthusiastically.

“Good idea, while we are at it, let’s also order…”

As if nothing happened, the cheerful and relaxed atmosphere was back. The soon graduated students all enjoyed the food and alcoholic drinks. They made sure to create memories together since they were not all going to the same universities. As for Malak, this was a bittersweet moment. He was envious of his friends. He wished he could also stay and live a normal life. However, another part of him longed to go back with Kian. He needed to. They needed to.

As the night went on, plates of food and the empty glasses of various alcoholic drinks accumulated on the table. Everyone took part in the conversation and laughs filled the bar. They were all enjoying their time together.

“Prom is in a week. Did you all shop for your dresses?” Bella asked excitedly.

“Of course!” the other girls nodded before fishing out their phones to show each other their dresses.

All of them had chosen long dresses, but their styles varied from girl to girl. Some chose a princess gown while others were slim fit. As the girls continued to chat about their accessories and shoes, the boys looked at each other with a dead stare. They were at least relieved none of them made them go through the shopping process.