Party Pooper

After the last exam, most groups of students celebrated and party through the night with the company of alcohol. With summer also arriving quickly, teenagers invaded the pools.

A few days later, the graduation ceremony was held. While the seniors proudly wore their black graduation gown with their customized mortarboard hat. Each student’s name was embroidered on it. The night of the ceremony was filled with emotions from both the students and their parents. Ending high school was a feat by itself as it involved many challenges and sleepless nights. But their lives only started and as young adults, they will soon enter the “real world”. Which was even more ruthless than the teacher who always gave a thousand and one homework or the petty rumours that often circulated.

Fortunately, this reality was still far away, and the seniors’ eyes were fixed on the prom. After weeks or months, the girls finally could wear their dream dresses while the boys tried to look their best for their girl. It was an event they couldn’t miss and the last chance to see their classmates for most of them. Certainly, the closest friends will stay in contact. But with time and in different universities, friendship may fade rapidly. Also, it was known that the party really started after the prom where there was no adult surveillance.

The Elsan household was buzzing with life as the twins prepared themselves for prom. In Lesley’s room, her mother was helping her dress up, apply her make-up and comb her hair. They didn’t have a second to spare. In Malak’s bedroom, he was leisurely dressing up in his suit. He was almost done when someone knocked at his door.

“Come in,” Malak answered as the door opened soon after. “Dad,” he called after turning around.

He didn’t answer as he proudly watched his son in a suit. He walked into the room and helped Malak straighten his shirt. “We’re proud of you,” Frank smiled.

“Thank you,” Malak answered with a smile, as happiness bubbled in his chest.

“Are you going to that party alone?”

“My friends will be there,” Malak answered as he put on his jacket.

“What about that boy… Kian,” he asked after remembering his name.

Malak was taken aback. He didn’t expect his dad to go out of his way and ask about his boyfriend. He always thought that his parents didn’t like Kian, or at least had mixed feelings about him.

“I didn’t think… Would that be a good idea?” Malak answered hesitantly.

“I think so too,” his dad sighed before handing a piece of paper to his son. “Go thank your mom later.”

Confused, Malak stared at the object in his hand. It took him a second to unfold the piece of paper. After scanning it, a smile appeared on his face. It was a ticket for the prom in Kian's name. Without wasting a second, Malak grabbed his phone and called Kian.

“Are you free this evening?” Malak asked as soon as Kian answered.

“You sound excited,” Kian chuckled. “Must be about that prom thing.”

“You remembered! About that, do you want to be my partner?”

“On such short notice… I don’t know if I have the time.”

“Oh… It’s alright. Don’t worry about it,” Malak said in disappointment.

You should insist more,” Kian sighs. “When should I be at your house?”

“Really? Thank you! Around four would be good,” Malak answered as relief washed through him. “Do you have something to wear?”

“What do you wear at these types of events?”