Collision

“Why do you look like you didn’t sleep for a week?” Kayla asked before chomping on her hot dog.

“Are you alright?” Malak added with concern as he noticed the dark bags under his friend’s eyes.

“I’m alright,” Enrico yawned while playing with a fry. “Been busy with my new job.”

Malak stayed silent as he observed his male friend. They both grew up together, and Malak knew all his quirks. He tried to sound nonchalant, but he was hiding something. Malak just didn’t know what.

“Maybe consider a career change?” Kayla proposed.

Enrico gave her an incredulous stare. “I started a week ago.”

“So?”

He shook his head. “It’s alright. I’m still the newbie. It’ll calm down soon.”

“If you say so,” she shrugs before finishing her hot dog. Using a clean tissue, she used it to brush the crumbs off the table to the awaiting sparrows.

“But I miss my summer vacation,” Enrico whined. “I’m so jealous.”

“Then, go to college,” Malak proposed as he sipped his vanilla milkshake.

“Miss me?”

“Barely,” Malak answered with seriousness as his friend pouted.

The group of friends continued to catch up with each other. Summer vacation barely started for the two freshmen. Although they will go to the same university, they won’t be able to see each other being in different programs. As for Enrico, he now worked full-time at a company. With each other schedules being so different, it was difficult to find a day to meet.

Malak observed his friends with longing as they acted like an old married couple to each other. He only had a few weeks left before leaving this world behind. Because of that, he found a new joy in little things. The other day, he fed a fat little squirrel until it became too picky to eat something else than roasted hazelnuts. It even dared to steal the entire bag when Malak wasn’t watching.

They were now spending time together at the park. After eating lunch, they left the picnic table free of garbage before walking away. The only trace of them was the sparrows feasting on crumbs of bread and fries.

Strolling in the shade given by tall trees with luscious green leaves. They chatted under the happy chirps of birds. From time to time, a soft wind ruffled the tree leaves while carrying the fresh scent of grass and flowers.

“We should go to the beach sometimes,” Malak mumbled, mostly to himself.

“Let’s go!” Kayla quickly agreed. “Bring your boyfriend too.”

Enrico clicked his tongue and frowned at her. “You only want to ogle him.”

Disgust coated his tone, but Kayla simply brushed him off. “He’s hot.”

“Back off, he’s mine,” I warned teasingly.

Kayla smiled and Enrico looked like he bit a wedge of lemon. “I know he is, but if, one day, you wish to share…”

Enrico choked, and both men stared at her in shock. Stunned, they didn’t realize they both stopped walking. Turning around to face them, Kayla simply shrugged her shoulders.

“What?”

Enrico pushed Malak’s ribs with his elbow. “I, uh, don’t… I mean…”

“Malak wants to say, he doesn’t share,” Enrico answered for his friends.