Gathun

Entering the town, Malak couldn’t help to stare at his surroundings. Compared to the capital, Gathun paled in comparison. However, he felt at home. The layout and style of the city were like Narakzir, the capital, his home. 

As they walked down the streets, the buildings were all made of wood and rocks. The architecture matched the one in the Middle Age, but the presence of magic replaced modern technology. For example, the road lamps didn’t use electricity, but light runes that created an orb of light. On the main roads and more affluent neighbourhoods, the ground was paved with stones and carriages could freely pass through. It didn’t happen often, but sometimes officials or the Lord of Nuludarar came to visit the mayor. 

Once they reached the market square, the atmosphere rapidly got livelier. Many stalls had been set up. There was a wide variety of products on sale, from fresh vegetables and fruits to furniture and jewellery. Women with baskets on their arms filled the square as they bought the necessities for the day. The quality of the products varied, but nothing was overly expensive. Anyone from the working class could afford it. The upper-class citizens would never set foot in Gathun, as they would get their jewellery from specialized shops localized in bigger cities. 

Fortunately, Kian was only interested in the middle and lower-class citizens. In the wake of the tax increase, they were the ones who suffered the most. Observing them would indicate how the Lord of Casrum ruled over his Kingdom. 

“What changes the new king made after his ascension to the throne?” Kian asked while watching Malak check out an oddly shaped piece of pottery. 

“By fear of rebellion, he increased the tax by more than half and frequently conducted inquisitions in each province. While his coffers overflow with riches, the populace struggles to survive.” 

“Gathun doesn’t seem to fare too badly.” 

“This is because Ekzu Rirdris, the Lord of Nuludarar, cares about his people. He empties his own coffers to pay what the citizens can’t.” 

“Interesting.”

“He is also one of your allies,” Ezrel whispered as he was observing their surroundings for anything unusual. 

Kian glanced at his most trusted man by the corner of his eyes before nodding. 

“Anything that catches your fancy?” Kian asked Malak, standing next to him. 

Malak smiled, but shook his head. “It’s alright.” 

They walked to the next stall with their cloak still covering their body from head to toe. The reason for that was to hide themselves from the guards patrolling the town. Unless a seller approached them, they did not remain for more than a few minutes. However, they kept their ears open to listen to the citizens' conversation. While most of them were customers trying to bargain for a cheaper price, some were unhappy with the current King yet grateful for their Lord shielding them from the brunt of the taxes. However, the neighbouring territories weren’t all so lucky. Therefore, the import and export of products considerably slowed down. The prices fluctuated to two extremes. While the price of import products skyrocketed, the price of local products plummeted. 

“We should buy a few ingredients for tonight’s meal,” Ezrel proposed as the sun started to lower on the horizon. 

Kian nodded before turning to Malak. “Do you want something specific to eat?”

“A local dish would be nice. I have never been to this part of the Kingdom,” Malak answered. 

“Take care of it,” Kian eyed Ezrel.

“Yes.” 

Malak winced. “I could think about something more specific if it would help.” 

Ezrel shook his head. “It is not a problem. Please, do not preoccupy yourself with something as trivial.”