Symbol

Back into the safety of the cabin, Kian sat on the couch while Ezrel stood stiffly in front of him. The man did not know why his master was in such a fury that he would even send Malak away. Seconds slowly passed by, as Kian continued to stare at his subordinate. It was as if he expected Ezrel to kneel and beg for his forgiveness. Magic trickled out of the man in waves, as it made Ezrel feel faint. He didn't know what to do. 

“What's the meaning of this?” Kian finally asked. 

Still not understanding what he was talking about, Ezrel carefully asked. “Was it a peasant that offended you?” 

Kian raised a brow as his blood-red eyes glowed like a dangerous fire, ready to burn everything in his path. 

“On the contrary, he offered me interesting information.”

“What may that be?” 

Kian leaned his back on the sofa before crossing his arms. “The Imperial crest, for example… And human slaves.” 

“My apologies!” Ezrel quickly said, with his eyes down. “After the Lord of Casrum invaded the palace, they cornered me in Your Majesty's quarters. I had to protect the core linking you to this world. Hence, I fled, and Serik Albimbert branded me a traitor for killing you and usurping the throne. With the core in my hands and your eventual return, the Kingdom will eventually go back to the rightful owner.” 

“This tale of your prowess and devotion to me is heartwarming. However, you are outside the point.” 

“Once I fled the capital, the new King sent the imperial guards to all the territories to enslave or kill the humans that were the root of the rebellion. As for the imperial crest, he changed it under the pretext of a new era where the Phoenix regrowth from his ashes.” 

“What about our relationship with the other countries? I heard Albimbert is oppressing the demi-humans.” 

“They ended all trades with us. It, however, only enraged the Lord of Casrum and oppressed them even more. A tiny mistake and they’ll also be enslaved.” 

“He's unworthy of the throne. His greed is blinding his eyes. The King does not serve oneself but the people.” 

“Your Majesty is truly fair and wise.”

“Stop your flattering. Instead, do you have news of our allies?” 

“Not yet.” 

Kian nodded and stood up. He looked at the maid. There were no words exchanged, but she nodded and disappeared behind the door. Then, Kian made his way to the window and stared at the forest, while showing his back to Ezrel. 

“As much as I would like to storm in and strangle the man myself, this wouldn't be the most… Elegant method. Two hundred and fifty years have passed, and I doubt my subordinates remember me.” 

“They wouldn't dare! As you saw in the town, the citizens are unhappy with the present King. If they knew of your return, they would surely give you support.” 

“You're wrong. I am not the one favoured by the people, but Malak is. I have always been fair to my people, but I have heard rumours about how I changed since I married. Furthermore, I ended slavery and opened my ports to other countries because of Malak. As a result, the Kingdom bloomed. Malak is the key to their hearts.” 

“But you didn't want me to reveal his return?” 

“We will create a symbol as we help the denizens. They will be our messengers.” 

At the same time, the maid knocked on the door before stepping away to let Malak in. Kian immediately lost the coldness in his facial expression and tone as he seemed to relax in the presence of his loved one.