07 | into the woods

The rising sun cast a rosy hue across the morning sky. The sky was covered with fluffy white clouds that drifted lazily in the gentle breeze. She was wearing a well-embellished tunic and black coat with gold embroidery that dropped down to her waist. Black pants and a pair of black boots as her hair was pulled back into a high ponytail. A sword was hanging on her waist as it moved following the rhythm of her steps.

From time to time, Ezio flew above her. Three magnificent black horses were waiting in the yard while Cassandra and Matthias were standing behind her as she was saying her goodbye to Peter and Susan. They decided to travel with horses since it'll be faster.

"Thank you, Queen Elena," Susan genuinely said with a small smile. "Of course, I'll inform you as soon as I get news," Elena replied as she gave Susan a short hug. She knows how it feels, she knows it all. How the worries and overthinks slowly eat your soul just by thinking about the worst outcome. And so she is trying her best to help them find the young queen.

"Here's some food for you. Hope you have a safe journey and bring us good news," Peter stated as a maid came forward with bags of food. Matthias initiatively took them. "Thank you, King Peter."

Edmund came around by the corner. Leon followed him from behind as he was holding two horses, one was brown and the other was black. Compare to Vremoor's horses it was smaller. So when Leon first saw those magnificent horses, he was amazed. Of course, it was because of the different environments and different breeds.

"We're coming with you. We brought our own supplies, so we won't burden you," Edmund stated without waiting for the queen to answer. His siblings nod their heads, they knew it was best if he followed them so if anything happens, he'll be first to send the news.

"You are a burden," Cassandra whispered but Leon heard her since he was standing near her. "Excuse me?!" How dare you to talk to his majesty like that," Leon glared at her as he was still holding the leadlines of both horses. Cassandra only rolled her eyes and ignored him.

"Farewell, King Peter, Queen Susan," Elena bid her goodbye. "Farewell Queen Elena, we're looking forward to your good news," Peter replied. And so they mounted their horses.

──────

It was already dawn and they decided to take a break. Matthias had built a campfire to keep them warm. All the horses had given a drink and their leadlines were tied into a tree. None of them had spoken a word since they took a break but since it will take a few days to arrive at Vremoor, like it or not, the tension must be subsided.

"Grilled fish for dinner," Leon said with a friendly smile. He had been fishing on a lake that was located near them and thanks to his talent, he only needed half an hour to gather a whole basket of fish. And he was also the one who grilled it for them.

"This is good," Cassandra commented as she took another bite of the fish. "Thank you," Leon replied as his cheeks slightly turned red at the compliment.

There was yet another awkward silence before Elena broke it, "We'll continue our journey before sunrise so we could arrive at Vremoor faster. Get some rest and thank you for the dinner, Leon."

──────

The sky was already dark by now. The moon was shining above them as it was accompanied by bright stars. Elena couldn't sleep, she had a hard time sleeping for the past few days. And since she is now with strangers, that adds another reason for her not to sleep. Soft snores were heard as she slowly stood up. The others have fallen asleep as they were circling the campfire which is still lit up.

Carefully she took her sword and headed towards the lake. She walked around the lake for a couple of minutes before she found the perfect spot. She put her sword on a stone and untied her hair before she took off her clothing and dive into the cold water.