17 | hurdle of faith

Elena's father once told her about The Great Lion — one who created Narnia in the very first place.

Narnia was once without a form, darkness was upon the face of the deep. Aslan was the one who separated the light and dark — as we call it day and night. And on the same day, he created the sun, the moon, and the shimmering bright stars that accompany us on both the lonely and peaceful nights.

As his paws touched the ground, skies and lands were formed. His breath created the wind that agglomerated clouds. His tears created the ocean. He scratched his paws against the solid ground and it cracked, making a pathway for the water to go through in which we call rivers and lakes. He tapped his paws against the dry land and created beautiful glistening sands as small as bags of dust particles.

With his words, sea creatures and land creatures were called out. And then he created humankind. From the very first day, humans were told the duty of taking care of nature and all its living things. Aslan told them that humans must live in peace — side by side with other creatures.

On the last day, he left Narnia and never to be seen again. That was until the Pevensie siblings were brought to Narnia.

Although, Elena never met him in her entire life before. She knew that the lion standing in front of her was Aslan himself. There was something about him that made him unlike any other lions in general but the queen couldn't point it out.

Maybe it was the way his pride manes moving swiftly against the wind or his tender eyes gazing through the beautiful landscape before him.

"Come, my child," his voice was a mix between gentle and firm. Elena took a few steps closer to him but she kept a distance between them.

Despite the fact that he's the King of all kings, she felt her heart ease around him. She felt safe, something that she haven't felt in a long time. His warm breath seemed to wrap her around like a blanket, in ways that she could never imagine. On another day, she would ask many questions to The Great Lion like any other curious child.

"Where is he?"

"I'm not here for your brother, Elena. I'm here for you," Aslan said as he tilted his head to the side. Elena shrugged her shoulders, avoiding his gaze.

"Your mind is burdened with responsibilities, your heart is hunted by the past and future. Your soul needs rest."

All the things he said were more than true as if he was pouring all the things that Elena didn't dare to admit. She wanted to have a hibernation along with the bears in the cave or turn into a speck of dust that flew away against the wind. She needs a rest no matter for how long, a year, a month, a week, a day, even for a moment.

She wanted to be free. Sometimes she's jealous of bees or butterflies that could carelessly fly away from a flower to the second. At another time, she wish she was an eagle that could sore through the sky. There're no rules that restrain them.

She's tired of all the duties she carried as a queen. And deep down in her heart, she began to doubt herself and the existence of her brother. She was beginning to think that all of those were coming from her imagination. Without her determination on finding him, Elena might've given up long ago.

"Nobody says being a queen is an easy task," Aslan started. "You have many responsibilities to carry and there would be more obstacles ahead."

At that point, Elena was beginning to think that Aslan could actually read minds like what the folks said about him.

"My presence here won't guarantee everything would go according to what you want."

Elena was about to say something before Aslan continued, "And I also can't guarantee your brother's safety but as long as you have faith in me. Believe in me as your parents did, do as I say and I could give you everlasting life and freedom."

She thought about it for a moment. It was until she remembered that her parents were one of the most loyal ones among Aslan's followers, and they didn't get a happy ending.

"My parents did believe in you," she said. "But they never had a happy ending. Mother was dreadfully ill and you weren't there to cure her. Father died in the hands of the rebels. How am I supposed to believe your words after everything you did?!"

Aslan's gaze was still gentle, despite after Elena raised her voice at him. The sudden realization hit her as she felt her stomach twisting from guilt. "Pardon me, I never attend to be insolence."

She expected him to yell or say something to her but instead, he nodded his head. "You didn't do anything wrong. Anyone could've to doubt me, that includes your parents."

There was a mere silence between them before he said, "I've said what I have to say. Just know that I always remember the favor your parents had done for me, I never forget any of them."

Elena saw the Lion walk away from her, as he walked further and further away until he was no longer seen.

Suddenly, an unwanted wind drifts past her. The blowing wind pierced through her skin and the cold temperature made her heartache. She held her hand on her chest in hopes that it would somehow reduce the pain, but it didn't.

She felt as if she was being dragged to another world, the wind around her made her head spin in a rather painful way. And with her other free hand, she held her head. A few moments later, her knees gave up on her and darkness had once again taken over her.

Before she fully lost consciousness, she heard Aslan's voice echoed inside her mind, "Be wise with every step you choose."

- ☽.