Chapter 20

"Kara is trying to find you," Cain mumbled against my arm. "Do I let her in?"

Yawning, I roll over to face him and snuggle back in. "No."

"She's persistent." His voice was rough with sleep, and as his arm pulled me closer, I was not ready to leave my safe little cocoon. "It's becoming annoying."

"You'll get used to it." Only an unspoken what if lingered between us. What if it was urgent, the furies, an attack... "Fine."

"Elise, what, oh!" Kara rambled, and daring to look over at her, she spun around to face the wall and not the bed before being drawn to the watery window. "What is this place?"

"I was never welcomed to stay at the main quarters," Cain answered, lazily rolling over and exposing my hiding place beside him. "What do you want?"

"Is it safe for me to turn around?" She asked cautiously.

"Yes." I groaned, pulling the blanket up over my head, which Cain tugged back down so I was forced to see her.

"Sorry, I thought you'd be awake by now. It's past noon." Kara frowned a slight blush on her cheeks. "I just got back from seeing Frigg, and she's put two guards on Vidar. She hadn't known about his connection to the twins, there is some bad blood there and somehow he had managed to hide it all. She feels terrible about it."

"Okay, she's forgiven, good, great, bye," I mumble into the pillow.

"You went alone?" Cain asked, not impressed by the idea.

"No. Hades and Hermes joined me." Cain nodded. "I also have a guard on Aphrodite. She's mostly harmless, but she has been enjoying his visits and I'm not leaving anything to chance."

"As much as I am enjoying this visit, can we continue it later?"

"Sorry," Kara smirked. "Think of it as payback for all those early mornings you put me through."

"They weren't early mornings, they were late nights." I point out.

"Sorry, my mistake because you don't sleep like a normal person."

"Hunter. My best work gets done at night."

"I'm sure it does." She teased. "And since when do you play the Hunter card?"

"Since now." I throw a pillow at her, which she easily catches and throws back. "Kara!"

"Elise!"

"Quit it!" Another pillow, and this time she throws it back harder.

"I need coffee." Cain decides, sitting up completely now. "Is Hades still here?"

Kara nodded. "He is planning on returning tonight."

I get a kiss on the cheek and he's gone, so I pull up the blanket again only Kara stays.

"What?"

"Tell me where to go to find Medusa." It isn't a question and now I'm awake. I'm also starving and the serious face that greets me as I sit up doesn't even fix that. "Please?"

"No, and not right now. Besides, I couldn't even if I wanted to. Cain took us there, and he had so many rules about what to do on our way to the portal I'd probably just end up getting us eaten or something. We couldn't use our powers for most of the trip, and he was babbling about the moon cycle for some reason," I took a breath. "And as if I'd just let you walk on in there by yourself. Chrysaor is a whole new world of crazy."

"Then I'll tell him to take me. Queen's orders. I was thinking about it after you left, and of course, she is the only option we have to save him, but after last time, you can't go. It is a risk I can't take." She decides.