7.

UNEDITED

RAYNE:

I swallowed hard as I walked into the clinic behind Ms. Williams who walked in with her head held high. I still couldn't believe that this whole time my angel was her. She was so beautiful I wanted to do nothing but bow down.

She doesn't understand how much she's saved me. I never thought I'd have a shower again. Or even a bed to sleep on. A comfortable bed at that. When she told me she washed my clothes I wanted nothing more than to kiss her feet. My jeans look like jeans. My sweater didn't smell anymore.

I felt clean for the first time in five years.

I finally had somewhere I could call home. I just pray to God nothing happens for it to be taken away from me. I don't think I'll be able to handle the heartbreak.

"Good morning, Dylan. Who's your friend?" I saw Angela asked causing me to scoff and roll my eyes. Ms. Williams rolled her eyes with me before showing Angela her badge.

"It's Rayne." She chuckled causing Angela's eyes to widen. She looked me up and down and I felt myself grow insecure as I looked away.

I couldn't possibly look that different.

"Also..give her some employee forms please. She'll be joining our team."

"What?!" Angela yelled causing everyone to turn and look over at us. I felt my face start to heat from embarrassment as everyone who didn't recognize me ogled my features. I hated it because the only person who saw me for me was Ms. Williams. She didn't judge me for what I looked like before.

Everyone else did. How dare they think they could stare at me, now?

"Yes, Angela. I already cleared it with Roland through email. She will be our new I.T and maintenance personnel. Don't make me ask again, Angela." With that, Ms. Williams walked to her office leaving Angela and I staring at each other.

"Um, alright. Here fill this out and give it to Ronald when you're done. As for pay, you have a debit card?" She asked blandly. I shook my head and she sighed before mumbling 'of course you don't' under her breath causing me to frown.

"Go talk to Dylan about that. She'll help you with pay. Other than that, you're good to go." Angela stated. I nodded and walked down the hallway to Ms. Williams office. She was sitting at her desk, her legs crossed as she typed on her computer before looking up at me.

"You okay? Don't mind Angela. She'll be fine. Come sit. I'll help you." Ms. Williams stated. I nodded and walked in, sitting at the chair in front of her desk.

"I know you don't have a debit card but don't worry about that. I'll be giving you your payments in cash until you make enough, then I'll show you how to build assets. Who needs a debit card?" She chuckled, causing me to crack a smile even though I had no clue what she was talking about.

"I could tell you're confused. Don't worry, I'll explain when we get there. For now, write all your information. Put my number as your contact..yeah..good girl..and you're all set." She grinned after telling me where to sign my name. I smirked and handed her the paper and she grinned before opening a file cabinet and slipping it inside.

"Okay. Now I have your first assignment."

I raised my hand, asking her to tell me what I needed to do. She smirked and stood up, flipping her hair over her shoulders before walking out of the office with me following her tracks.

"Go to group. Participate. Be proactive, and also fix the speaker that's attached to the wall to make PA announcements." She giggled as she handed me a red toolbox causing me to snicker and roll my eyes before nodding. I wasn't going to speak in group but I know for her I'll at least try.

I just hated talking. Especially about my own issues.

I walked into the meeting room, every single eye turning to me. Their eyes widened, including coach Michelle's and I just smiled sheepishly before walking to the back of the room toward the PA system with my new toolbox. Everyone continued to stare and I sighed before looking at Ms. Williams who just smirked.

"Guys. You all remember Rayne, correct?"

Everyone's eyes widened even more and I scoffed as I waved my hand, causing Ms Williams to sigh.

"Yes, I know she looks a tad different. I ask that you guys treat her with respect. She's now my assistant." I swallowed hard at the title and watched as some people's eyes, including Michaels, filled with envy causing me to gulp.

"What about the rest of us?" Michael asked harshly, causing Coach Michelle to put a hand up.

"Why can't you be happy for anyone? Huh?" Coach Michelle asked, causing my eyes to widen. I've never heard her talk to anyone like that before and it made my ears heat up.

"But she-"

"She what? Little do you know that she's skilled with mechanics. She showed her skills to me, and I gave her a job. You're in the program, Michael. You're in the process of getting your life together, are you not?" Ms. Williams growled. I swallowed hard as the butterflies filled the bottom of my stomach. She always comes to my rescue and never seems to ask for anything in return.

I'll fix as many PA systems she wanted me to.

Michael sat back in his seat with a glare on his face. I turned around and pulled my tools from the box when I suddenly heard clapping. I grew confused and turned around to see everyone else smiling and clapping for me, causing my eyes to well with tears.

"You're doing amazing, Rayne. Hopefully you'll be comfortable enough to talk to us soon." Coach Michelle grinned. I smiled and nodded before turning around and wiping my face before continuing my task for the day. I listened to everyone speak, looking over my shoulder every once in a while as I continued to fix the speaker.

I managed to fix all four speakers, drilling the last one into the wall when I felt a hand touch my shoulder. I jumped and turned around to see Ms. Williams smiling at me with a cup of cold water in her hand.

"You did great today." She grinned as she handed me the cup. I wiped the black dirt from my hand and grabbed the cup before drinking the water, feeling myself become hydrated. I silently thanked God before looking down at my angel to see her staring down at the toolbox deep in thought.

I touched her shoulder, shooting her a concerned look and she smiled before shaking her head.

"Nothing. Let's finish up here so we could head home."

Home..I like the sound of that.