13.

RAYNE:

"Please..just please behave yourself. You look nice." Dylan whispered as we walked into the country club. It was probably the fanciest place I've ever been to my entire life. The closest to this I've ever been to was Genevieve's cafe in the Bronx.

Still. This tops that.

After our kiss and opening her presents earlier, Dylan kicked me out of her room so I could get dressed. I slipped on the yellow and grey plaid Burberry shirt she bought for me a few weeks ago and some grey skinny jeans and my black men ugg boots. I also had on a black leather jacket that had fur on the inside. Dylan then decided to put my hair into two braids to give my outfit some 'pizazz'.

Her words not mine.

I could tell she was nervous. Hell, I was too. I prayed that I didn't end up having to bash someone's head into the table. I was so angry from what she told me last night. My angel didn't deserve anything like that happening to her. I was thankful that there was only a small bruise on my face. All the other damage was on my lower extremities but I had a high pain tolerance so it wasn't an issue.

I was just grateful I was alive and that Dylan found me before anyone else did.

I looked down at Dylan to see her looking around. She had one of her hands balled into fists and she bounced it slightly as she tried to find her mother. I touched her lower back causing her to jump.

"Relax, ma." I whispered. She swallowed hard before nodding when we heard someone call out a name that caught her attention although I was unfamiliar with it.

"Azura! Over here!"

Azura? What a pretty name..

Dylan looked up at me before walking over to a large circular table. I followed her, already feeling the fake vibes as I looked at the few white women and men along with the two black women who sat at the table.

I nearly sucked my teeth.

"D-Daniel?" Dylan asked nervously as she looked at the short white man who stood to kiss her cheek and hand her daisies.

Even I know she hates daisies.

"Yes, I invited him along with Stacy. I wanted to surprise you." A fair skinned woman grinned. She had grey contacts in and it made me scoff. Dylan nodded slowly as she looked around the table, the fair skinned woman standing up to kiss her cheek, before side eyeing me.

"Happy birthday my daughter. And who's..your friend?" Her mother asked with a slight tone that made me smirk. I held my hand out to her and she looked at it, before slowly slipping her hand inside. I shook it slightly before letting it drop, watching as she wiped her hand on Dylan's dress before patting her shoulder to mask her actions.

Wow. What a bitch.

"This is Rayne. Rayne this is my mother Amani."

"Mrs. Williams." Amani corrected Dylan with a hand up and I smirked before nodding and patting my chest. She looked at me confused, a snort coming from the other side of the table and I looked over at a younger women who looked just like Amani.

Her sister.

"Nice to meet you, dude. Good to see Dylan making more friends." Daniel grinned as he stood, shaking my hand. He had a firm grip but I watched as his face twisted slightly as I hardened mine just to show him who was the 'man' here.

Dude.

"I'm Kaitlyn, Azura's sister." Kaitlyn grinned, her faux grey eyes darting from Dylan's to mine. I nodded, before looking down at Dylan to see her staring at the table with wide eyes. I placed a hand on her shoulder and felt her visibly relax before taking a seat.