Part 24: Too Many Drinks

The restaurant looks so much different when they step inside. The lights are low, every table has a candle on it, and they've moved the tables so that they can have a dance floor in the center. There are far fewer people than he expected. Maybe fifteen or sixteen. Some of the staff he recognizes from the day he was here with Sam, but there are more faces that he assumes are significant others judging by the way they're clinging to each other. Bucky's nerves are instantly calmer - not completely, but he feels a little better. He breathes a soft sigh of relief as Shannon squeezes his hand.

"Told you it would be chill," she says, her voice soft and comforting. "You want a drink?"

"Sure," he whispers. "Whiskey if you have it."

"Sure do." She turns to Sam. "Sam, you want a drink?"

"Beer would be great!" He replies. "Buck, let's go check out these appetizers."

Bucky sees a table filled with food and suddenly, it's all he can think about. He snatches up a small plate and fills it to the brim with food - meat, vegetables, tiny pies with more meat in them... it's amazing. Without thinking, he begins shoving tiny appetizers into his mouth while Sam watches, laughing.

"What?" Bucky asks with a mouthful of food.

"You wanna set up camp here?" Sam teases.

"Gimme a break, Sam. I'm trying. The food makes me feel less nervous."

Sam chuckles and pats him on the back.

"I know. How's it going with you two anyway?"

Bucky watches as Shannon is chatting with her co-workers, occasionally turning around to wink or wave at him. She's checking in. He knows it. He appreciates it. Bucky smiles at her and makes sure to rake his eyes up and down her body just to make her flush. It works. He shoves a few pieces of food into his mouth and chews thoughtfully.

"I'm going to meet her parents in a couple of weeks."

"For real?" Sam asks.

"Yeah. Her dad, uh..." he sighs. "I don't know if I should be telling you this..."

"Dementia," Sam finishes. "She talks to me too, you know."

"Yeah, I know. I just wasn't sure how personal you guys get."

"Not incredibly. We mostly talk about you, but she's entertaining, to say the least. She sends me memes."

Bucky arches an eyebrow.

"What the hell is a meme?"

"I don't know if we have time for that," Sam chuckles.

"Anyway," Bucky sighs. "She's going back to help take care of their farm."

"And you wanna help?"

"I do," Bucky whispers. "What else am I going to do here? Drink beer in front of the TV and eat pizza?"

Sam grins.

"You're a good guy, Bucky."

"Yeah, well," he says with a shrug. "That's debatable."

Shannon taps him on the back and he whirls around. She has a glass of whiskey in one hand and Sam's beer in the other.

"Sam?" She announces, handing his drink to him. He grabs it with a soft thank you. Shannon glances over at Bucky. "Here you go, sweetheart."

Her voice is a low purr and her eyes sparkle with the memory of what they did in the bathroom earlier this evening. He flushes, thankful that his beard and the low lights hide most of his embarrassment while Sam is talking to one of the employees — or at least Bucky is pretty sure they're an employee. He grabs the drink and smiles at her. Shannon points at his massive plate of food.