Part 26: Come Fly With Me

Bucky slides out of his boots and puts them in the closet next to Shannon's. She hangs up his jacket for him. Janice and George give them the grand tour. Shannon insists she's seen the place a thousand times because she grew up here, but Janice tells her that they "changed a few things" since she was last here. The house is beautiful, like something out of a magazine in the 1950s. The kitchen is white with teal and cream-colored appliances and there's a big red couch in the living room covered in various blankets and pillows. Bucky can see which chair is George's because it's surrounded by a small TV table and large stacks of books about World War II and Vietnam. There's a big cozy fireplace nestled into the wall with family pictures and Shannon's school photos sitting on top of the mantle. Janice winks at Bucky.

"I'll show you her baby pictures some afternoon."

Bucky grins.

"Mama!" Shannon whines.

"What?!" Janice asks. "Embarrassing you is my job!"

Shannon grumbles as they head upstairs.

"The house has three floors," George announces. "There are two bedrooms on this floor. One of them used to be Shannon's when she was a baby. It was right next door to our room down that long hallway near the back of the house. Shannon always played music too loudly as a kid, so we decided to put her upstairs on the opposite side of the house once she hit fourteen. Couldn't stand the noise. That's where y'all will be sleeping."

Shannon winks at Bucky and he tries to hide the flush creeping into his jawline as he realizes exactly what she's thinking. They walk up the steps. Bucky notices that Janice is holding George's arm to keep him stable, and vice versa. If Bucky didn't know Shannon's dad was sick, he would have just thought they were like any other couple. He supposes, in a way, they are. Every relationship has its ups and downs, victories and struggles, especially when you've been married for decades. Once they reach the top, George opens the bedroom door to reveal a bedroom that looks like something out of a Victorian novel. There's an enormous four-poster bed draped in soft white fabric and two mahogany bedside tables on either side. The carpet is lush and thick beneath his feet. There's a large mahogany dresser decorated with old wine bottles that are now being used as candleholders. Dried wax is stuck to the glass. The curtains are white and soft, blowing gently in the wind.

"Wow," Bucky breathes. "This is incredible."

Compared to the bunkers and hideouts he's used to, this house is a palace. Janice turns around and claps her hands together. She spots Alpine in her carrier and crouches down.

"I didn't realize we had another guest!"

"This is Alpine," Shannon says.

"She's beautiful," Janice whispers, standing up and smiling. "Now, we'll let you two unpack and get settled in. Dinner is in an hour. Shannon told me you love steak, Bucky, so I'll get that started."

"Oh, you don't have to make anything special for me," Bucky laughs.

She reaches up and pinches his cheek gently.

"Nonsense. You're the guest of honor. And I made a pecan pie for dessert."

"That's what that smell was," Shannon laughs.

"It's Shannon's favorite."

She blushes and looks down, nodding. Janice and George give them one more hug (well, handshake in George's case) and head downstairs, shutting the door behind them. Bucky lets Alpine out of her carrier and they hear Ace bounding up the stairs. He's got a stick in his mouth and drops it at Shannon's feet.

"We'll play in a bit, okay, buddy? I've got to unpack all of this stuff."

Ace grunts and lays down on the ground. Alpine leaps on his head and they begin to tussle on the floor while Shannon and Bucky begin to unpack. He glances over at her as she stuff clothes into the top drawer of the dresser.