Chapter 12: Not A Competition

Please excuse ANY errors.

November 30, 1998

~Tia's P.O.V~

Just as I was about to knock on the door, the door flew open revealing Courtney. She stepped back and I walked inside.

"You're late," Courtney told me with a slight attitude.

"Well, hello to you too, Courtney," I said closing and locking the door.

I then turned to her to see that she looks STRESSED the hell out. She didn't reply to me AT ALL. She just stood there leaning on one leg with her hand to her mouth. I kicked my heels off and took off my blazer. I just came from work and the traffic was sort of bad as I was leaving which explains my lateness.

"I said hello." I chuckled and she looked at me. "You alright?" I asked her.

"I'm- I'm pregnant..." She said in disbelief.

"WHAT!?" My voice came out a little louder than I intended.

"I mean- I mean, I don't know for sure, but I think so."

"What do you mean you think so?" I questioned. "Is this a celebration or like?" I trailed off.

"NO, it's not a damn celebration!" She huffed. "I don't want no damn kids! I'm not even married. Shit, I'm not even in a damn relationship!"

"My bad..." I held my hands up in defense.

"I mean, I missed my period this month." She revealed.

"Oh. It doesn't mean that much. It could just be late. It happens." I told her.

"No, I MISSED my period for TWO weeks."

"Again Courtney, it HAPPENS," I repeated.

"I took a pregnancy test." She sighed.

My breath hitched. "What'd it say?" I asked her in a curious tone.

"I don't know." She shrugged.

"Courtney... What? This doesn't make ANY sense, sugar." I told her.

"It DOES make sense, Tia."

"I don't think-"

"I didn't look at the test and I was waiting on you to show up to look for me. I'm sorry to put this all on you too, but I didn't want to tell Jazzy. She already has a lot going on. Plus..." She took another deep breath. "Plus, I don't want family knowing about this just in case I am. Then Elijah... Well, Elijah's a man and wouldn't fully understand."

"We girls and that's what we do. We are there for each other. I got you." I told her. The room fell silent again.

I would ask her a CERTAIN question, but she's already stressed, and what if she isn't pregnant? Another question is...

I cleared my throat. "So, how late is your period?" I asked her.

"Two and a half weeks late." She shook her head.