Chapter 18: The Unexpected Company

Please excuse ANY errors.

December 22, 1998

~Tia's P.O.V~

Hearing Donald snore lightly beside me, I turned my head to see him with the side of his face against the pillow with his mouth slightly agape. He really has been sleeping heavier than he used to which is a good thing because after the robbery years ago he was quick to wake up with any noise made. The paranoia, trauma, and past drug abuse made him... Not himself for a while.

Moving his arm from around my waist caused a loud snore to escape his mouth that quickly steadied into his original snore pattern. The noise is pretty scary, yet hilarious. It's similar to a bear growling when it's about to attack. I reached over to the nightstand, grabbed my phone off of its charger, then glanced at the clock. It's only about a quarter to five in the morning. I had been awake for a good forty-five minutes before getting out of bed.

I swung my legs to the side of the bed, slid my feet into my furry slides that I use as house shoes, then stood up. I immediately grabbed some shorts and put them on before making my way to the bathroom. After washing and drying my hands I exited the bathroom through Donald's bedroom door, then made my way downstairs to the second floor. Going straight to Ashari's bedroom, I knocked softly to avoid waking up Asiri. I heard footsteps approaching and then the door opened.

"What's up?" She asked me with Asiri on her hip.

"Did I wake her up too?" I questioned looking at my niece.

"Girl, no. This little girl has been up for a couple of hours. She woke my ass up." She yawned.

I raised my eyebrows at her yawn. "You're sleepy or just tired?"

"I'm just a little tired."

"Well, I can take her if you'd like." The reason I'm saying this is because I know babies can be difficult especially since she is now a single mother now.

"You can too, but whatever you're about to do, I will too because I'm bored as hell. I just gotta check on my son first." She said handing me Asiri.

"I'm bored too so I'm about to start making breakfast."

"For everyone?" Ashari questioned closing the door behind her.

I nodded in response as we went to the boys' room. Ashari gave me a look before opening the door just enough to stick her head through.

"They all still sleep." She closed the door. "Good!" She chuckled. "Bad as hell, but you a good one."

My expression and my tone came off as confused because that's exactly what I am at the moment. "And that means?"

"Dalvin? He's cool and so is the other brother and his wife or girlfriend bu-"

I chuckled at her calling him the other brother. "Derek." I corrected her, shaking my head. "He hates being called that and I would too at the beginning."

"Yeah, him." She shrugged her left shoulder at me as we made our way down the stairs. "But those parents, ESPECIALLY that daddy are not it. Fake as fuck. He pisses me the fuck off and I hear the slick shit he says."