Part 13

The clan looked forward to Halloween every year. It was the one day of the year when they could be more themselves but given that there could still be Quarrymen at the parties, it would be best if the gargoyles dressed up in costumes too. It might be the one night of the year that the Quarrymen wouldn't be after them, because it would be hard to tell who a gargoyle was if other humans were dressed up like them.

Brooklyn had another exam at his twenty-second week. He asked if he would be able to go the Halloween party that Xanatos was planning. Nathan was at the lab with Akemi.

"You should be able to go and have a good time. Just find a costume that fits." Preston said. "Make sure it's not too tight over your belly. The little ones need the room to move."

"I'm sure I'll find something that fits me." Brooklyn gave his belly a rub.

"Do you know what you want to go as?" Vanessa asked.

"Well, I like pirates and superheroes. But what superhero is fat?" Brooklyn looked down at himself.

"It won't be for too much longer. Just a few more months. Next year's Halloween you should be back to your normal look." Vanessa said.

Then, Brooklyn jumped, feeling one of the twins kick him.

"What?" Preston asked, seeing his look.

"One of the twins kicked me." Brooklyn replied.

"Well, maybe they are saying they want to be involved in the spirit of Halloween too!" Vanessa joked.

Brooklyn smiled. "Maybe they are. I'll have to think of a good costume to wear for the party. I've got two weeks to prepare. You guys can come to it as well." He invited them.

"That's very nice of you." Preston said. "We might get costumes, but it will all depend on what we're doing at that time."

"I understand." Brooklyn stated.

They still hadn't told Brooklyn that he would soon be meeting a girl from another clan. They hoped Brook and Akemi would hit it off.

Brooklyn sighed and looked down at his belly, putting a hand on it. Vanessa noticed his sad look.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"I just keep thinking about how much my babies will need a mother." Brooklyn replied. "But would a female accept me if they found out I am actually pregnant?" It couldn't help but leave him concerned.

The best fighters usually had to be lean and muscled. But of course, even female gargoyles had a time in their lives in the breeding season where they were allowed to get big with their eggs. Brooklyn was just worried about being called fat when he really wasn't. From the weight he was gaining carrying these twins, he hoped he would be able to lose it again after the pregnancy.

"I'm sure any female would want to be with you despite being pregnant. She might find it strange that a male is carrying his offspring, but this is a new start for your kind. We are making history with this. You are doing so well, Brooklyn. Don't let this thought get you down." Vanessa explained, putting a hand on his shoulder to comfort him. "And a female would likely want to be a mother or an aunt to your little ones."

"I just hope that females won't see this as threatening to their status as baby carriers." Brooklyn said.

"I'm sure they wouldn't if they understood why it was done."

"I hope so." Brook said.

...............

In the lab, Akemi was growing restless. She was more than ready to get out of her quarantine and meet New York's clan.