【Part 19: Innocence】「Kazuo」

Chapter 19: Innocence

I watched her as she got plowed by another man. My eyes were wide, and I didn't understand what was going on. Why is she so close with another man?

This was the same thing he did. During the day, he would be touching another woman, and by night, she would touch another man. They were a bunch of cheaters.

I sat at dinner with an awkward silence that broke through the room. I loved them both, but slowly it started fading away. I didn't know who I loved more. Dad or mom?

"So how was work honey?" My mom asked my dad.

My 10 year old self couldn't understand what my mom was doing with that man, and my dad with that woman. It couldn't be anything good.

"Work was well." He replied. "Still trying to land that job in Paris."

"It will work out." Her words empty with happiness. Her fake aroma really worked my dad up.

"Kazuo! Kazuo!" BigZ shook me while I was sitting on the roof with him. The sky was as dark as a cave. There were no lights in the buildings. There were no street lights. "The whole city is out of electricity. Looks like we got some weird ass blackout." He smoked a blunt, and offered. I passed.

"You ever feel like you've done something wrong?"

"Boy you have done a lot wrong." He rightfully blurted.

"I did." I thought of my mother. How both my parents were so loving, and perfect, yet held so many secrets behind closed doors. I knew my father got that job because he was fucking with his boss. I guess I got my manwhore ways from my father.

"What is it this time? Or who?"

"My mother."

He gasped. "What about your father?"

"He's in Paris. He isn't even with my mother anymore. Why would he care?"

"You got some fucked up childhood huh?"

The more I thought about it, the more it started to make sense. I molded my life to make it seem perfect, but slowly I was losing myself to the lies I portrayed.

"Yeah." That was all I could say. I am a fucked up guy. I tried so hard to be normal, but that just wouldn't work. I didn't know what I want, and what I need. I killed my only love. My mother. All because I was scared of her seeing me drown. She didn't deserve the pain I gave her, but I couldn't take it back anymore.

I slept that night with a bunch of tossing, and turning. My back, and my temples raged in pain. I could feel bullet drops of sweat dripping down my face. It was unbearable. I was stuck in my dreams.

"WAHHH WAHHHH!!!!! AHHHH!!" The baby cries louder than any bomb.

"Hush little baby." Katie rocked the baby in her arms.

I covered my ears. I knew I was no longer with Katie, but I had to stay an extra week with her before I moved out. It was a tough ass week. "Shut it up!" I wailed.

She sings the baby a lullaby, and it slowly quiets down. "You can be a bit nicer."

"Sorry. I just have too much on my mind."

I watched as Katie sets the baby down in his crib, and walks over to me. "Kazuo. I want you to know something."

"What?"

"No matter if we are friends or not, I will always make sure you aren't behind bars."

"You sure?" My heart flutters.