【Part 20: Passing】「Kazuo」

Chapter 20: Passing

It was strange being in this familiar house with a new man. Katie never informed me of her new husband. I guess I was happy for her. He seemed like a really sympathetic man.

"So you were her ex husband?" He asks as he hands me a cup of tea.

"Yeah. Surprised?"

"A bit. Me, and you are quite the opposites. Tell me, how did my wife come to fall in love with you?" He goes over to sit on the black leather sofa, and crosses his legs, facing me.

I thought about our encounter that one night. "Well she came to my door....she wanted to sell cookies for her grandmother or something of that matter. I gave her extra money even though I hate cookies. I just wanted to help her out. She stayed the night. No sex." I chuckled. "She, and I became good friends, and soon we just dated, and got married, had a kid." I shrugged.

The man takes a sip of his tea, and looks at me in wonder. "You let her raise a baby by herself?"

A wave of guilt flown over me. "Yeah. I stayed for a while, but soon left for my own personal reasons. I wasn't the best husband. So I am glad she found you."

I noticed him giving me a smile. "Thank you, that means a lot. I'm sure you have some special quality in you, and that is why Katie was fond of you."

"I supposed."

"I took care of the baby. No worries."

"Oh?" I wasn't concerned for the baby whatsoever. It should be grown by now. "Does he live here?" I decided to ask.

"No he is out the house. Such a sweet child I must say. Do you still want to meet him one day?"

"Not really " I looked off. "It's better not to expose a kid to a father that wasn't around."

"I supposed so. Do you remember his name at least?" He asked me like I was stupid to not remember anything.

"Jamison Sahara." I said immediately with a slight annoyance.

"Oh so you do remember." He chuckles.

"It's my son. Of course I would remember. Did you have any kids with Katie?"

"We have one daughter together name Marie. She's sleeping right now."

"How old?" I didn't care much for his life, but it felt appropriate.

"She is only 5." He sighs. "Now she is motherless. I feel quite distraught."

"Do you speak Japanese?" I asked him. I wasn't too familiar with speaking in French after so long. I guess I was a bit rusty.

"No I am fully French. I speak only French, and a little English."

"Oh I see."

"Now I assume you came here for Katie. Why is that?" He gives me a stare as if I had something to hide.

"I called her to ask her personal matter, and she didn't call back or answered. I had a hunch something went wrong."

"Not sure how she died. I'm just feeling sorry for Jamison since he didn't see his mother pass." He rubs his temples.

"I guess. I'm heading down to the station."

"Okay." He doesn't ask questions, and escorted me out the house.

I went back to the taxi cab, and told him my next destination.

The police station wasn't far from Katie's house. I walked through the familiar doors that Katie used to go into. I noticed Officer Franz immediately. He was at the front desk talking with a detective. He looks at me, and I could see the death of his daughter has brought a toll on his appearance. His eyes were droopy, and he was a mess.