chapter 7 Lorien

Chapter Seven

We were soon moving over the rocky earth at a swift pace. I was still carrying Frodo and I was fine with that. It brought me a sense of contentment, being a pack mule made me feel like I had a purpose. I moved at a swift pace next to my dad, who was now our guide. A few hours before nightfall we crossed a creak and were at the start of Lórien. "You can put me down now," Frodo said as I crossed the stream. I set him down and moved to walk behind everyone.

I liked this position, this way I knew where everyone was, I could keep an eye on them. I walked beside Boromir who seemed troubled. "What did you call me in the mines?"

"Brother," I replied simply.

"But I'm not your brother."

"Who said that it was only blood that counted? Gwador means brother in bond. And if you're asking why, I don't know. I see you as my brother," I replied.

"So what would be sister in bond in that tongue?" he asked with a slight smile on his face.

"Gwathel or gwethil," I replied. I spent the next few hours teaching him how to say it properly. Suddenly everyone stopped because arrows were in our face. I put my hands up as a sign of peace as my dad did.

"The dwarf breathed so loud we could have shot him in the dark," a blonde hair elf said stepping into our view. Haldir.

"Please we need your help," my dad said.

"You can go no further," Haldir said.

I stepped forward, "Eítho ven, gin iallon," I said. (Aid us, I beg of you.) He was silent for a moment, "please?"

"Follow me," he said walking away. We all silently followed.

"What did you say to him?" Boromir asked.

"I begged for him to aid us," I replied. We walked till darkness fell. We stopped under some kind of structure for a while and Haldir gave a more formal greeting to some of us anyway.

Haldir said, "Mae govannen, Legolas Thranduilion." (Welcome Legolas, son of Thranduil.)

Legolas replied, "Govannas vîn gwennen le, Haldir o Lórien." (Our Fellowship stands in your debt, Haldir of Lórien.)

Haldir glanced at Aragorn, "A, Aragorn in Dúnedain istannen le ammen." (Oh, Aragorn of the Dúnedain, you are known to us.)

Aragorn bowed slightly and politely replied, "Haldir."

Haldir then turned to me, "A, Arathina gi nathlalm hi," Haldir said. (Oh, Arathina you are welcome here.)

"Hannon le," I replied bowing and placing my right hand over my heart.

Gimli annoyed said, "So much for the legendary courtesy of the Elves! Speak words we can also understand!"

Haldir turned and looked at him almost darkly and replied, "We have not had dealings with the Dwarves since the Dark Days."

Gimli snapping replied, "And you know what this Dwarf says to that? Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul!" (I spit upon your grave.) I spun around to stare at him. That was incredibly rude. This elf may be our only chance to get some rest and in a safe place.

Aragorn spun around and he grabbed the dwarf's front who was standing behind him, "That was not so courteous." Haldir glanced at Frodo.

"You bring great evil with you."  He then switched his attention to Aragorn and said, "You can go no further." He walked away. Sam and Pippin turned to look at Frodo. He looked slightly uncomfortable. Haldir and Aragorn walked off away from us to talk about us entering Lórien.