Chapter 3: Wartwood's Hero

The Plantars were a rather famous...okay, not really famous. I just wanna make them sound cool, y'know? They've been through some things.

Their family was more farmers...or at least, they currently were. They were all kinds of things during the old days. Warriors, scientists, and inventors. This current generation consisted of Hopediah Planter and his two grandchildren, Sprig and Polly.

Did I mention they were frogs?

Hop Pop hopped (get it?) off the cart and then turned to his grandson and granddaughter. "Alright, kids. I'm gonna get some things from the store. Watch over the cart!"

Sprig eagerly leapt on the top of the cart. "You got it, Hop Pop! I'LL DEFEND THIS CART WITH MY LIFE!!!"

Hop Pop chuckled and patted Sprig's head. "You'd surely let it die before you, Sprig. That's why I was talking to Polly."

Polly, despite being a tadpole, smirked smugly at Sprig.

Sprig's eyes widened. "WHAT?! B-But Polly's a baby!"

Polly just sat back in her water bucket, still smirking at the new power she was given.

"She's got more responsibility in her eyebrow than you do in your entire body!" Hop Pop said, crossing his arms.

Sprig scoffed. "Ridiculous! What makes you think that?"

Hop Pop narrowed his eyes. "...gee. Let me think. The time you spilled a Grubhog's acid on dinner?"

"That was-"

"The time you crashed into my room with a cow-worm?"

"But-"

"And when you attracted a bunch of fireflies by leaving the lights on!" Hop Pop finished.

Sprig sighed. "Okay. So, yesterday was a bad day..."

Hop Pop nodded before turning to Polly. "Watch over the cart AND your brother."

"You got it!" Polly said, saluting with her arm...since she didn't really have a hand.

Hop Pop then headed into the store, greeting the employees inside. Sprig sighed, sulking into the cart as he gave a small glare to his little sister, who just cackled to herself.

But that's when the town crazy person (we're thinking of a better title) came running in, breathing heavily. "M...MANTIS! MANTISSS!!!"

The villagers quickly began to freak out, hiding behind their houses or houses that didn't belong to them. Polly went deeper into her bucket, while Sprig just eagerly stared at the forest Wally had come from.

But instead...was a mantis raptorial leg. Not the mantis itself.

Mayor Toadstool sighed in relief. "Calm down, everyone! It's just a leg! Wally's nuts again!"

The villagers gave One Eyed Wally a glare before walking out, continuing their normal lives...until three Red Mantis' came out, roaring and hissing.

All of Wartwood began to scream, running off in terror as the Mantis' began to roam and walk around, slicing and roaring, looking for their next meal.

Sprig quickly grabbed his slingshot, hopping out of the cart and grabbing a nearby rock and launching it at one of the mantis'.

The mantis rubbed the back of its head before turning and growling.

Sprig blinked. "Thinking out loud...maybe that was a bad idea."

"MANTIS FORMATION!" Polly screeched.