Chapter 8: Monsters, Monsters, Monsters!

"So, Polly!" Anne smiled, hovering in the air as she looked at the tadpole inside the bucket. "Ready to fly?!"

"HECK YEAH!" Polly said before quieting herself. "I mean...heck yeah!"

Anne gave a thumbs up before peeking out and looking into The Plantar's house. Nothing from Hop Pop. He would FREAK if he found out his (technically) baby granddaughter would be flying through the sky.

With someone who was still kinda getting used to flying in general. The closest thing Anne had gotten to flying was rock climbing, with the colorful rocks she could step on in her middle school's gym. She flew through the air when she fell. Sasha panicked, while Marcy just observed her wound.

She missed them...

Her powers deactivated for a moment, and she sighed.

Polly tilted her head. "You ok, Anne?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah! Yeah!" Anne said. "I...I still miss my friends. Sasha and her protectiveness, Marcy and her brains. Heck? I even miss Marcy's clumsiness. And she was like, the clumsiest person ALIVE."

"THAT clumsy?"

"She was once so focused on Sonic Forces that she didn't see she was walking into a zoo, where 100 snakes had broken out. THAT was the worst Saturday of my entire life." Anne said, having war flashbacks as she stared into the sky with silence.

Polly blinked. "Okayyy...ready to fly?"

"Yeah! I am! Just gotta get happy!" Anne said before sighing. "Still bummed. And I don't wanna sad-fly."

Polly hummed before looking around at her journal. "...Kitten?"

"KITTEN?! WHERE?!?" Anne cried, squealing as her hair and eyes turned a bright blue and she hovered in the air.

Polly grinned wide. "Heck yeah!" She said, whispering since she didn't want Hop Pop to hear them.

Anne smiled before grabbing Polly and then flying through the air, trying not to go too fast since she wanted to be careful with Polly. Not to mention, she didn't go too high.

She started to fly around Wartwood, with Polly laughing and cheering as she looked down on her home. "It looks so small from up here!"

Anne laughed. "Doesn't it?" She asked before smirking and flying a bit higher, and slightly faster. She then began flying around the village in circles, listening to Polly's cries of joy and wonder.

They kept flying around in circles for a little while before Polly requested something.

"Dive! Dive! Dive!" She said.

Anne giggled. "Yes, ma'am!" She said before diving down into the forest, the same forest she had found her armor. Or rather, Heart's armor.

She did wonder how Heart got here though with these two other friends of hers. She then laughed, realizing it was very similar to how she and her friends got into Amphibia.

All she had to do was hope she wouldn't fight some kind of shapeshifting elder god with orange eyes.

She then landed, with Polly cheering. "THAT WAS AWESOME!!!"

Anne laughed. "Yup! Definitely gonna brag about this for a while." She smirked. "I still can't believe I have superpowers! Do I have laser eyes?! Or maybe...uhhh...lasers in general?"

"I still don't know what a laser is." Polly blinked.

Anne blinked too. "I never looked at it that way...what IS a laser?"

Polly shrugged. "I wouldn't know. But that's incredibly philosophical."

"Yeah! It's really Popsicle!"

"Not what I said." Polly said with a shake of her head.

Anne just shrugged before she heard a snarl. Two snarls. She slowly turned around and then her eyes widened in horror and slight disgust.

Out from the shadows walked two hybrids of creatures. One was a combo of a badger and a beetle. The other was a hybrid of a wolf and a scorpion. Unlike the other monsters Anne had seen so far? They didn't seem scared of her. Or more specifically, her armor.

Anne looked at Polly and set her down. She then smirked, her hair glowing brighter. "Stay back. Enjoy the show."

Polly gasped before sticking out her tongue and catching a nearby fly.

Anne then cracked her fists and raised her fists. "ALRIGHT! I MAY NOT HAVE MY SWORD, BUT BRING IT-"

Then, as if on cue, the sword came flying in, stabbing itself right in front of her, nearly hitting her boot. Anne jumped, but then grabbed her sword. "NEVERMIND! COME AT ME, BRO...S!"

The wolf-scorpion roared and charged first, shooting out their tail at Anne, who dodged and flew behind the monster, slicing off its tail.

Anne smirked as it screamed in pain. She then punched the wolf-scorpion in the face over and over again before finally headbutting it onto the ground. She then landed, backflipped onto the charging badger-beetle and stabbed it in the back with her sword.

"EAT MAGIC SWORD!" Anne cried, stabbing the badger-beetle again as it rammed itself through a tree, which she jumped off the creature at the last second.

The wolf-scorpion tried to attack Anne again, but it was punched in the gut. Anne then flew up again, kicking the monster in the head and knocking it out cold.

The badger-beetle shook off all the wood and dirt and charged at Anne, who used her sword to slice across its face. The badger beetle, wanting to survive, quickly retreated, knowing it had met its match.

Anne smirked, sheathing her sword as she flew back down...and then tripped when she tried to do a pose. "Ow..."

Polly clapped. "THAT WAS AWESOME!!!"

Anne gave a thumbs up. "Hey, thanks."

Polly then laughed. "Could you always fight like that?!"

Anne got back up again. "Uhh, no! Never. Ever since I got here though, I felt like I could ALWAYS do this. Even though I've never been trained. Is that the powers?"

Polly shrugged. "Heart learned how to fight according to the stories!"

Anne hummed. "Man, if only Marcy were here." She then thought about Marcy and sulked, her hair and eyes going blue again. "Mar-Mar..."

Polly sighed, patting her back with her flipper. "There, there."