Chapter 6: Lilybud

"And this is where you'll be staying." Hop Pop said, opening the door to the basement.

Anne looked down and hummed, holding a sleeping bag. There was moss, a few glowing mushrooms as lights, and it was empty. She sighed...this wasn't gonna be easy. But when she looked at The Plantars, they were at least giving her a place to stay.

Hop Pop chuckled nervously. "Sorry if it's not so homey, Anne. We don't get many surprise visitors."

Anne just smiled. "No, no! It's fine! Thank you...I-I'm kinda scared to be honest." She said as she set her sleeping bag across the floor, and the satchel with the music box and all her things in the backpack she had on when opening the box.

Hop Pop's eyes softened before he hopped over. "Scared?"

"I...I'm worried if I'll ever get home...but also find my friends. My BEST friends, Sasha and Marcy. They look a lot like me...and I pray to god they're ok." She said, feeling a few tears forming in her eyes.

Hop Pop patted her back. "We owe you, Anne. We can help you find your friends and get back home."

Anne smiled and wiped her tears before she hugged Hop Pop. "Thanks, Hop Pop."

Hop Pop chuckled. "Get some rest, Anne. Breakfast is early in the morning."

"...it's not bugs, is it?"

"It's a frog delicacy! How'd you know?"

Anne tried not to vomit so she wouldn't seem rude. "J-Just guessing."

The next morning, Anne woke up to someone hopping up and down on her chest. Her eyes snapped open and she reached for her sword, but then noticed it was just Sprig. She sighed in relief. "Sprig, what are you doing?! I was getting some sleep!"

"Well, I wanna wake my new roomie for breakfast!" Sprig said, having a cute smile on his face.

Anne looked into the frog's eyes for a moment...before sighing. "I can't stay mad at that face."

You'll say otherwise soon, Anne. The girl eventually got up, leaving her satchel and sword on her sleeping bag, walking upstairs. Hop Pop had served up three bowls of some kind. Anne tilted her head as she sat down...and then the color drained from her face.

Inside the bowl was mysterious green goo or water, with bugs of all kinds inside. Centipedes, crickets, and flies. Anne covered her mouth, unable to remain 'polite' before vomiting inside her own mouth.

"Whoa, rude much?" Polly asked.

Anne made a few indescribable noises before holding up a finger. "S-Sorry...I...think I lost my appetite."

Hop Pop sighed. "Well, this isn't one of my BEST dishes-"

"Swamp Soufle is your best-" Polly said before she was shushed by her grandfather.

"In the meantime, I guess I'll try and find ya something you can eat."

Anne hummed. "...you got a carrot or vegetables or fruit? Something?"

Hop Pop's eyes went sparkly before he squealed. "MY TIME HAS COME!" He screamed before zooming over to the farm outside.

Anne blinked. "...okay then." She said before sighing.

Sprig went over. "Hey, are you alright?"

"Yeah. Just sucks that I have to stay here for MONTHS. It was my birthday yesterday, my parents must be worried sick, and my friends are missing. And I'm also wearing a dead person's suit of armor...so, I'm a little stressed and homesick." She said, putting her hands on her chin.