Chapter 10

CHAPTER 10

Zayn asked Niall where he was and we got at his house in five minutes. Harry's foot hurt from pressing on the pedal too hard, and my whole body was shaking as I rang Niall's doorbell. He opened the door quickly and his face was stained with hot tears. I ran into his arms and gave him a hug. "Bella," he said. "Giana got into a car accident."

"What?" I said. I put my hand over my mouth. "Where is she? Is she okay? Is the baby okay?"

"I'm not sure," Niall said. He looked over at Zayn and Zayn looked as if he were going to burst into tears, too. "Well, why are we just standing here?" Zayn asked. He pulled our hands and Harry followed. "Let's go. What hospital is she at?" I sat in the back with Zayn as Niall sat, crunched in a ball, in the passenger seat next to Harry who was at the wheel. "Bradford Hospital."

The whole time no one said a word. Zayn started to play with my hair as I lay on his lap. He leaned down to kiss my cheek and mumbled silently the lyrics of "Kiss Me" by Ed Sheeran. 

"Settle down with me... Cover me up... Cuddle me in..."

I managed to stay awake as we pulled into the hospital. Niall opened the car door as fast as he could and ran inside. We all followed him as Harry parked the car. But Niall was already at the front desk, demanding answers about Giana and the baby. "I'm sorry, Mr., but we cannot give you many  answers. This was a very bad car crash, and Giana is in surgery right now. Unless you are a family member, you may not go in."

I gasped. "But that's my baby!" Niall said. Tears were falling down his face very fast. Zayn grasped my shoulder and held me close. "It's mine... it's mine..."

The lady behind the desk gave him  a sympathetic look and patted him on the shoulder. "Are you the Niall she's been talking about?" the lady asked. "Yes," he said. He didn't look up at her. Instead, he was letting the tears fall down onto the many papers that were crumpled up. "We're with him, too," Zayn said. Niall nodded. "They're with me," he said. The woman asked for our driver's licenses and we entered into the waiting room.

Ten minutes passed and Harry joined us. He told us that he had gotten in through the back door since he knew no one was going to let him in. The back door was unlocked. After ten more minutes of trying to comfort Niall, a doctor with white hair and a bald spot entered. "Niall Horan?" he asked, looking at his clipboard. "That's me," Niall said, looking up. "What's wrong with them? Are they okay?"

Niall was biting his nails. "Would you like to see your baby girl?" the doctor asked, slipping the glasses onto the bridge of his nose. We all cheered and hugged Niall. He was crying, but this time, out of joy. "Whre's Giana?" he asked. "She's okay, right?" 

Niall fell to the floor when the doctor told him Giana died giving her life to the baby. A tear fell from my cheek onto the white tiled floor. It took Niall a couple minutes to see his baby. At 5:15 AM, Niall was ready to see his baby. He kneeled next to the incubator where the baby was, his tears hitting the floor. I was gripping Zayn now, and even solid Harry shed a tear or two. He went and sat outside because he couldn't handle seeing Niall as upset as he was. Niall stood up and looked at his baby. The baby was 8 weeks early, and her skin was red. Her brown hair was short. As soon as Niall shed another tear, she opened her eyes, revealing light blue eyes. I covered my mouth.

"What is her name?" Zayn asked. Niall smiled at seeing his baby close her eyes again and move a little bit. "Carly," he whispered. He looked at me and hugged me. "I'm so, so sorry Niall," I said. I pet his hair as Zayn joined our hug. "I don't know why she would do that for her," he said. "She talked about getting an abortion the day after she found out she was pregnant."

I was crying really bad, now. "I know Niall, I know," I said. I felt a tear hit my sneaker. "Let's go home. We will all come check on the baby tomorrow," Zayn said. 

"No," Niall said. "We need to take care of Giana first."

"Niall, she's gone," I said, my lip quivering. I couldn't look him straight in the eye because I was afraid I was going to start crying again. "No, she's not," Niall said. "We need to plan a funeral. A wake. How am I going to tell her family?"

The white-haired doctor, now known as Dr. Wright, walked into the room just as Niall said that. "We have this covered. One of my nurses called up Giana's parents, who are actually living in Cheshire right now, and told them the news. They were devastated, but they want to talk to Niall."

Niall grabbed the phone from Dr. Wright's hand and tearily started speaking to Giana's mom and dad. I could hear them crying together, discussing the baby's name and who it would go to if Niall couldn't take care of it. "I... I..." Niall started, looking at Zayn and I. "I think I will keep the baby."

I nodded and smiled for the first time that night. I knew Niall was going to make an amazing father. "But I can't, that's the problem," Niall said. My heart floated up to my throat. What did he mean, he couldn't take care of it? "I want to give it to my best friend, Zayn, and his girlfriend, Bella."