Chapter 9

CHAPTER 9

I got into the shower that night, washing all my problems away. I scrubbed my hair with my favorite shampoo, the smell of lavender wafting through the bathroom. I heard a door slam. Must be Zayn, I thought, smiling. We were going to stay in for the night, but Zayn had something he wanted to tell me. I conditioned my hair and walked out of the shower to find Zayn sitting on the floor. He waved at me and I screamed, covering myself up with the closest towel I could find. "Zayn!" I yelled, slapping him with my towel. "You little!"

I ran out of the room and Zayn started to chase me. I could feel the towel start to slip off me, but I pulled it back up when I realized it was getting dangerously close to my chest. I screamed as Zayn tackled me onto the couch, tickling me under my arms. My towel managd to stay on my body, and Zayn was smart enough not to take it off. "Zayn! Please!" I pleaded in a sea full of laughter. Zayn was laughing, too, even though he wasn't being tickled. "Just let me get changed!" I yelled, attempting to push Zayn's muscular body off of me. He did what he was told and jumped off of me as I ran into my room and got changed into an oversized pink sweater and gray leggings. 

"You look cute," Zayn said, biting his lip. "Turn around," he ordered. I spun around and he made me stop when I faced him again. "I just wanted to get a quick glance of your bum," he said. I hit him on the shoulder and laughed while he tried to duck but failed. "Ow!" he said in a girly voice as he pulled a cigarette out of his back pocket along with a lighter. He walkd outside and started to smoke. I grabbed a book and looked out the window at Zayn, his fingers black and his eyes looked as if they were full of tears. He caught me staring at him and he waved. I waved back, smiling. 

A couple of hours later, I heard a knock on my door. I got up and looked around. Zayn wasn't here. I looked out the window. Zayn wasn't out there, either. It was still black outside, and I must've fallen asleep. The book I was reading was on the floor, and the page was open to where I had left off. I picked it up and carried it with me to go and answer the door. It was Harry.

"Hello," he said in a raspy voice. He wasn't wearing any sunglasses and his light green eyes were staring me down. He cleared his throat. "Is Zayn here?"

"Um, I don't know," I said, looking around.

"May I come in?" Harry asked. Before I said yes (or no), Harry stepped inside, throwing off his white converse and black peacoat on the floor.  He was wearing a flannel shirt and gray jeans. "I'm going to look for Zayn," I said. I took my phone out of my pocket and walked down the hall, just in case he wasn't in my room or the bathroom. I looked in both of the rooms and I found Zayn laying on my bed, asleep. His arms were outstretched and his legs looked long above the white duvet cover. "Hi, sleepyhead," I said at the doorway. "Someone's here to see you."

He immediately popped his eyes open and ran over to hug me. "This is random!" I said in the grasp of his hug. I could hear him sniffing my hair. "Zayn! What the hell are you doing?" I asked. "Who's here?" he said, walking down the hall. I wasn't swift enough to answer, because when I got back into the living room Zan and Harry had already greeted each other. "Hey mate!" Harry said, getting up off the couch and giving his best friend a hug. "How are you doing?" 

"Okay," Zayn answered. I stood there, blinking, as the two boys conversed. "How about you?"

"Alright," was all Harry said.

"Why just alright?" 

"Ah, well, you see, I'm helping Niall look for Giana," he said. My phone started to vibrate in my hand. I looked at the screen. It was Niall. "Gimme a second," I said as I ran into the bathroom. I sat on the toilet as I pressed "answer."

"Hey," I said, speaking quietly into the phone. I heard a knock on the bathroom door, and I immediately knew it was Zayn. "Are you okay, Bella?" he asked. "Yup," I said, covering the microphone. 

"Hey," Niall said in a worried voice. 

"What's wrong?" I asked, biting my thumbnail. I was afraid that he was going to tell me some bad news. Actually, I was almost positive. When he told me that he had lost his job when we were dating, he had the same tone in his voice. Luckily, he found a new job, but I could tell that he didn't like it as much as he liked the old one. Now I know how much that old job meant to him. It was the one he had gotten after his sister died, after the lady helped him out. 

"They found Giana," Niall said in a shaky voice. I could almost hear him quivering, his words stumblde out of his mouth. "Except there's something wrong with her. With the baby."

I shook my head. "No, Niall. No," I said quietly. "Zayn!" I yelled. Zayn was in the bathroom in two seconds. "What's wrong?" he asked, taking my hand. "Who's on the phone? Is it Niall?" Harry leaned against the doorway and put his glasses on. They were in his pocket. "There's something wrong with Niall's baby," I said. Zayn took my phone away from my vibrating hand. I was nervous about what would happen to Niall... to his baby.