Chapter 20

Sirius' 17th birthday party had arrived just a few days after Halloween, and the excitement was still buzzing even before everyone had come to the house.

Potter manor looked as it always did from the outside, a generously sized Victorian house with red brick and a wrap around porch. However, the inside looked much more interesting than usual. The living room, normally warm but simple, was now covered in rainbow streamers, and had multiple ice chests of various alcohols. Though Euphemia was there to try and stop consumption before she went to bed.

Dorcas and Marlene were the first to arrive, bringing along with them a very large bag labeled Fragile and insisting that it was important to keep it out reach of clumsy people, or, more specifically, Peter.

Speaking of, Peter was the next person to get there. Bringing along with him a large platter of stuffed mushrooms, as well as his famous deviled eggs.

"The magnificent Wormtail has arrived!" Sirius announced as Peter set down the food on one of the tables.

"Yeah yeah." He looked up, "what the hell are you wearing?"

They shrugged their shoulders at this. "A dress? I thought it was pretty obvious."

"No, I meant the pride flag cape." There was a very large flag with grey, white, and a blue stripe on their back, it appears as though it was bought in a hurry, since the tag was still on it.

"Oh yeah! I thought it was suitably dramatic for the evening, as well as a very convenient way to come out with actually, coming out."

"That's actually a smart idea."

"Why thank you, Wormtail" they said with a low bow.

"But of course" Peter also bowed, before shaking his head and laughing, then sat down on the couch to talk with Dorcas and Marlene.

★★★

There was an unexpected guest that arrived a short while later. The one and only, Regulus Black.

The room had gained an edge once Reg had arrived, awkwardly waving to everyone and completely out of his element, wishing that he had brought Barty along, he was always great with informal events.

"Reggie?" Came a voice from one of the armchairs, Sirius.

Regulus' eyes widened as he looked at his brother, or, sibling, if he interpreted the giant cape on their back correctly. (He did)

"Hello, Sirius." He nodded stiffly.

Sirius walked across the room with determination, Regulus thought that they might slap him. Instead pulling him into a very tight hug.

"I didn't even know you were coming" Sirius said with a smile, once they pulled away from the hug.

"I didn't either." He replied simply.

"Well, hey, I'm glad you're here."

"I uh, didn't bring any gifts, I completely forgot I was so nervous"

"It's fine, normally I would be offended, but because you're my brother, I'll forgive you this time."

Regulus rolled his eyes.

★★★

When Remus knocked at the front door, you could swear that the world paused, if only for a moment. When Sirius opened the door you could see surprise, confusion, and anger all show on their face in succession.

Remus froze. He had wanted to just hand Sirius the bag and then walk away, because his gift, and the note that came along with it would explain it.

"Hi, Sirius." He had a sad smile on his face.

"Lupin."

Remus put out the gift bag that contained his heart and soul. Sirius grabbed it, then turned around and started to walk back inside.

Then Remus made a decision. "Sirius! Wait!"

He whipped his head around, their hair looking somewhat like a bird.

"What, Lupin." He leered.

"I just, I didn't mean any of what I said. I know that's not an excuse, and I was being and right foul git, I just, was so, angry, and confused, and I don't even know why, and I shouldn't have taken it out on you. I'm so sorry."

Sirius' expression softened, if only for a moment, before it hardened back into a stern, cold expression. "How do I know you mean it."

"I– I don't know. I really do mean it. I want my friend back, I just," he looked up from the ground. I want you. "I missed you"

Sirius smiled. Remus' eyes were always his biggest tell, they always showed his intentions and emotions. And right now they looked like the definition of sorry.

Sirius walked up and gave Remus a hug that he gladly returned.

"I missed you too."

Smiles across both of their faces.

Sirius chuckled when they pulled away. "You think we blew this a little bit out of proportion?"

"Probably, but at least we're past it."

"So we are"

"FINALLY!" James yelled from the end of the hall. "THE BAND IS BACK TOGETHER!"

"Was he listening in this whole time?" Remus asked.

"Definitely." Sirius smiled then walked back to the living room, Remus following behind.