Chapter 24

Soon after the December holidays came the big event, New Years Eve.

Now normally, Remus and Lily would sit in his house and celebrate with Hope, before heading off to bed and waking up very late in the morning.

This year however, they actually had friends, and weren't the weird outcasts. (Also Hope had a date and wanted them out of the house.)

"Didn't James say that New Years was one of the more, laid back parties?" Remus asked, as he stared at the house in fear, the amount of light and general chatter from there seemingly shaking the foundations.

"I personally don't think that that James knows the meaning of laid back."

Remus turned his head and squinted. "You called him James."

"So?" Lily crossed her arms defensively.

"You don't call him James."

"I've been talking to him more and I figured it's time I stop referring to him in a condescending manner."

Remus was still suspicious of this, but decided to move on. "Okay then."

"Now, let's go get smashed." She pat him on the back and walked up to the porch, saying hi to Emmeline and Mary, giving them both hugs and starting a conversation.

Remus stayed back for a moment, taking a deep breath and walking up to the house, and suddenly there was an entirely different environment. It looked much worse from the outside, but it still had a lot more people than Remus had expected. Mainly people in their 50's and 60's but a few of his friends were there, including Sirius.

Holy shit.

Sirius was wearing a button up tucked into a pair of slacks with a pinstripe jacket overtop, which while all and all was very stylish, what took it over the top was the gold and white stars splattered across their face, and the crescent moon on his right cheek.

Remus walked over to them, seemingly not noticing that Sirius was in fact, talk very animatedly to Marlene.

"And I just don't know what to do! I mean how the fuck do I tell him-" Sirius turned his gaze to Remus and immediately stopping, eyes wide in fear.

Marlene looked between the two and smirked. "Well, I recommend you find a way to tell them sooner rather than later." She suggested, before patting Sirius on the shoulder and going to find Dorcas.

Remus sat down next to Sirius, careful to not mess up his freshly ironed button up shirt. "What was Marlene talking about?" He offered.

Sirius, shook themselves out of his shock and came up with a quick response. "Oh nothing, purely hypothetical conversation."

Remus didn't believe an ounce of what he said. But went along with it.

"All right then. I like your makeup by the way."

"Why thank you!" Sirius beamed. "Took me ages to get the moon just right."

"Well the effort paid off."

"Thank you."

★★★

Meanwhile, across the room, Lily had finally come inside, and seeing Remus enamored in conversation with Sirius, opted to get a drink.

Where she ran into the one and only, James Potter.

"Evans, hi!"

Lily sighed. "hello, James."

"Oh, so we're going by first names now?"

"If you want to."

"I would quite like that, Lily."