Next One Gone - Chapter 5

Huro awoke, startled. His dad was shaking him awake.

"Jeez, dad! Calm down, is there something wrong?" Huro asked, sleepily.

"Yes. Your Papa and I need you to stay home. Someone is going around taking our family away." Daniel replied, tears slowly forming in his eyes.

"Don't tell me Papa got taken!" Huro said sitting up quickly, looking at his dad with worry.

"No, luckily. But Quin was taken last night before Alex, Leon or Ria could do anything," Daniel hugged Huro. "I'm so sorry Huro. We will get them back, I promise."

"I have to go to school then. If Quin AND Akumi got taken from home, then I should go." Huro said. He may hate school but he at least had Ria and Zack, if Zack still wanted to be friends. Unless he tried to be Huro's friend so that Papa didn't kill him... But Logan talked to him. Maybe it is real-

"-ro... HURO!" Daniel yelled.

"Sorry Dad," Huro pulled away from the hug.

"You can go to school but keep an eye on Ria. Make sure that Zack is safe too. He might be brought into this because he now knows our secret." Daniel looked at Huro with loving eyes.

"I will. I promise Dad." Huro said.

***

Huro rushed to school. He wanted to make sure Ria was okay. He teleported into the forest. There, standing against a tree, was Zack. He changed forms and walked over to Zack.

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be with your "friends"?" Huro rolled his eyes.

"Hey! I was just making sure you were ok. I overheard Ria talking to her friends about how Quin was missing." Zack explained.

"Lies, she wouldn't be telling anyone this and if she saw you near her, she would most likely punch you in the face," Huro said.

"Ok- So I MAY have read your cousin's mind. But I was worried because you usually are earlier than this." Zack got off the tree and went to stand in front of him. "Are you ok though?... I mean, having your family taken, are you sure you're fine to be here?"

"YES! Just stop asking me questions! I am fine." Huro yelled.

"Jeez, ok then. I was just trying to comfort you." Zack turned around and started walking. Huro grabbed Zacks hand. Zack turned around to Huro, who had a slight blush across his cheeks, looking down.

"Stay. I'm sorry, I'm just a little stressed right now." Huro explained. "You've kinda just been pulled into all this family drama. I am so sorry..."

"Hey, it's ok. It's my fault I was a stickybeak. And this is better than us fighting or hating each other." Zack said.

"It is... We should probably get to school before we are late to form." Huro told.

"It's Friday, we don't have form. Remember how the first day back is on a Thursday?" Zack chuckled.

"Sorry, I don't get much sleep so my brain is mostly dead." Huro frowned and turned away.

"Oh calm down, I know. You always fall asleep in class." Zack stated.

"Just-... Let's go to school before Ria kills us both," Huro argued.

"Fine. Let's go." Zack began walking to school.

"Wait up!" Huro said lightly jogging to catch up with Zack. Zack just chuckled and continued walking while Huro angrily snorted.

***

Huro walked over to Ria. Zack had already gone over to his toxic friends, although he looked super uncomfortable... and... sad? Has he always been like that and Huro's never noticed? He tapped on Ria's shoulder. She was talking to her friend group.

"Can I talk to you in private for a second?" Huro asked.

"Of course. I'll see you guys at break." Ria waved to her friends and walked with Huro to a more private place.

"How are Uncle Alex, Uncle Leon and you going? Dad told me what happened this morning." Huro questioned.

"We are struggling to find the whereabouts of Akumi and Quin. They just-... disappeared. It couldn't have been a weak species because Akumi is a vampire cross demon. He's super powerful, so not just anyone could've taken him." Ria explained.

"Has Uncle Alex or Uncle Leon spoken to Grandpapa? I was there yesterday with Zack and he was searching for Akumi-" Huro was cut off.

"With Zack!? What were you doing with Zack? What happened between yesterday's lunch and now?" Ria bombarded Huro with questions.

"Yesterday, he found out about me being, you know, me. But it's ok, we've more or less made up. And I've noticed his strange behaviour around his toxic friends. I think there is something more to him but I can't figure it out." Huro clarified. "Anyway, I took him to Grandpapa. I originally wanted to erase his memory of him finding out about my true form but Grandpapa said not to."

"This is a lot to process. Everything is happening so quickly. But I'm worried that you'll be the next target. I don't think I'll be taken since I am only a cat. You and Akumi are the hybrids." Ria said.

"Well, Dad told me to be careful because now that Zack knows about us, whoever took Akumi and Quin could use Zack to get to me," Huro stated.

"How would that be a problem? Just give him up, he only ever hurt you. Why would you think he would change now?" Ria asked.

"I-... I don't know. I trust Grandpapa." Huro replied.

"Oh my god. He's probably just using you or lying so he doesn't die. Stop thinking of him so highly." Ria said.

"Ria! I can tell he's trying. I don't think he ever wanted to be hurtful. More like he did it to help with the pain. But of what?" Huro questioned.

"Huro, you're rambling and I have no idea what the hell you're talking about now," Ria stated as she pinched the bridge of her nose.

"Sorry..." Huro looked down.

The bell rang and Huro and Ria split ways.

***

Zack slid down a wall onto the floor, tears forming in his eyes. He heard the whole conversation. He was grateful that Huro stood up for him and somewhat understood that he had been going through sh*t all his life.

However, it did not make up for who he became, and who he will always be. Ria said it herself, he will never change. He wished he'd known about Huro being a hybrid before. This would've never happened. He came back to reality and realised he was very late and he had tears pouring down his face.

'Sh*t. One hundred per cent detention for me.' Zack thought as he wiped the tears off his face. He knew he was going to look like he'd been crying but he didn't care. Zack stood up and walked towards his class. First up was food tech. Luckily, he wasn't in the same class as Huro, so Huro would never find out that Zack had cried before.