The Return - Chapter 11

The morning came quickly and light peaked its way into the cave. Huro's silky hair glowed in the morning sun. He quickly woke himself up and got prepared for that day. Luckily, his papa brought him stuff from home since he knew that if Zack dropped him off at the cave, he couldn't be far. He finished teleporting the stuff back home and then began to mentally prepare for the day. It was going to be tiring, yes. But if he could find Zack. Everything would be worth it.

He first tried teleporting to the forest. The forest loomed over him. He nearly wanted to fall to the ground. Rogue vampires, other hybrids, and terrifying creatures lived in these woods. Legends told by elders were often so scary, that children would not be able to sleep without nightmares for weeks. This was to make sure they never went into the forest.

He crossed into the forest borders. To be able to find Zack, he would have to use something similar to echolocation, but without the sound. Using his mind, he reached out to search for Zack presence anywhere. No luck. He would have to go in the forest further.

***

The longer Huro was in the forest, the more he lost his mind. He couldn't tell how long he'd been in there. Days? Weeks? Luckily, he found a few animals to feed off of, but he was so lost. Huro barely had enough energy to do one more scan to find Zack. He was too scared to use it because if he did and didn't find him in time then he would die in the forest.

Exhaustion wore heavy on his shoulders and he was struggling to walk properly. Huro barely got any sleep because he had to be constantly on the move. He missed Zack and his family. He needed to use the last one now; it was his only chance.

Huro put his hands on his head and searched through the forest for some kind of life force. It was then that he felt all his energy, his power and life force drain away. But... In the far distance, he felt a presence. It was barely noticeable, but it was someone.

'Z-zack?..' Huro said through his mind. Then he collapsed on the ground.

***

Huro woke up again to see that he was home. Was it a dream?

"Hey, you awake? Careful, it's been rough for you this week," Zack said. He looked around and realised that this was not his home but some kind of small house.

"Huh? What- W-Where did you find this?" Huro asked, still weak and shaky.

"I found it a few hours after I left you. I decided to stay here to try and wait for you to stop searching for me, but then I heard you cry out in pain. So I teleported to you and found you unconcious. I'm so sorry for leaving. I just thought you'd be safer if I did," Zack explained.

"No! You leaving made everything worse! Never leave like that again! If there's something wrong, don't just run away; face it with us. We need you back at home," Huro said. "I... need you." Zack's sombre expression turned into a more loving one.

"I know, I'm very sorry. Now that you're awake, we can go back to the castle. I'm sure mother would love to see you," Zack said.

"Wait, what?! Mother?! Don't you mean Dad and Papa? We aren't going back your castle! Your mother wants to take me away... Who knows what she would do to us!" Huro exclaimed.

"Oh, but Huro, you don't have a choice. You can join our project. Join your family," Zack said with his eyes turning red. Huro quickly teleported away from the bed he was on, forgetting how weak he was. His legs nearly fell out underneath him so he leaned on a wall to support him.