Four

Bree's POV 

 I peeked over from my station in the workshop to look over at Fin. He's been helping in the store for over a week. We've managed to ship out around fifty of our orders. We did have to contact some people and let them know that they would most likely not get their signs by the holiday. The demand is too high and with me only working in the store for three days, we were in a little slump.

Those we contacted were understanding and didn't even want them for the holiday. We lucked out on that part. People are so high and mighty lately when they don't get what they want.

I watched as he worked on bending a piece of hot metal onto the backboard piece. The way his arms moved with the movement, the muscle in them defined alongside the veins as he grips the metal stick. I licked at my lips to calm down my thinking, but I couldn't.

I've been alone, single, avoiding that life for about three years-- if not four. I've had the fun one night stands after going to clubs with Winnie, but beyond that? Nothing. I can't even think about giving myself to someone. They'd just leave again.

It's been two weeks since Nora's father died. Nine days since the funeral. After the funeral, Nora took a few days off with Fin. They went on this road trip along the coast of California. Nora said she needed the air of the sea to find her peace again. I'm still not sure if she has found her peace. She still seems like she is walking through her actions and not really living.

I've also been watching Fin. He has been like steel since the funeral and trip. When they got back, he's been all business in making the signs. I mean before the funeral I could tell he was trying to hit on me before. Now he has been fully immersed in the work. Which has been great. We've been able to double our production since he's helped out. Even Nora knows the luxury it is to have him here.

Granted he caused the influx, but for him to help is touching in itself. He honestly surprises me everyday.

"Hey, Bree." I looked up to see Fin calling out my name while wiping at the beads of sweat above his dark eyebrows.

"Mhm," I said while focusing on this calligraphy letter. Nora was ecstatic when I told her a hobby of mine was to explore calligraphy. I've been hand painting signs since she found out.

"Want to go get dinner tonight? I know this bomb little mexican shop." I peeked back over at him and raised an eyebrow slightly in question. He gave me a cheeky grin, with his dimple popping out, and continued. "Do you like burritos? Maybe some queso filled tacos? Oh how about fajitas? They have it all. You can also get Mikey's Mex Bowl. It has a mix of everything in it."

"How long have you been thinking about this place?"

"Since I asked you out for the first time." I was shocked by how quick he was to respond and fluttered the paintbrush in my hand.

"Oh."

"Just oh? How about a yes or no?"

I gave him a smirk and shook my head finishing up my calligraphy. "It does sound appetizing."

"It's a date." When I looked up at him he gave me a wink and continued to heat up his metal piece to bend into the right shape.

⬤⬤⬤

I pulled my jeans up over my butt and buttoned them up. My long sleeve black knitted shirt will pair nicely with my red patterned winter coat. A car door shut and I peeked out the apartment window to see Fin has parked across the street. I grabbed my purse, threw my keys in it, stuck my phone in my back pocket, fluffed my hair in the mirror then I opened the door and made my way out.

I met Fin just as I opened the door and he gave me a smile in greeting. It's a bit on the chillier side tonight as a storm is about to pass by, but he seems to be radiating body heat. He is dressed in black jogger pants, a long black winter coat and a quarter button up shirt. He looks damn fine.

But he's Nora's son. So I will not go there. And he plays major league baseball eight hours from here.

"I forgot my mom said you lived above the store. I thought she rented it to some older lady." I let out a chuckle and shook my head. Locking the door, I turned back to Fin and walked beside him across the street to his car.

"Nope. Little ol' me rents it. I pretty much owe your mom a huge thank you for being the backbone for my life. Without her and her store, the apartment... I don't know what I'd be doing right now."

Fin nodded thoughtfully and walked over to my side to open the door for me. He has a blacked out Chevy truck. As we passed the hood I saw he had an american flag covering the Chevrolet letters. A man with a nice truck.

Fin closed the door behind me and jogged over to his side. In the few seconds I was alone I breathed in the scent of the truck.

"I was driving my dad's old beat up Ford this past week, but one of the headlights blew so I had to take my truck."

"Do you not like your truck?" I asked as I looked over to him. He tapped the middle compartment and looked over at me with a sly smirk upon his lips.

"My truck has this," he tapped the console again. "My dad's doesn't." My eyebrows pulled together trying to figure out why the console matters. "That means I can't pull you beside me during our ride."

My mouth popped open in an 'o' form and I felt the heat rush up my neck. Fin let out a chuckle before pulling out of his parking spot and driving up the main road. "You do know this is strictly dinner right?" I let out and shifted to see his reaction. He scratched at his scruff and peeked over at me.

"What does that entail to you exactly?"

"No pulling me beside you. Dinner amongst friends."

"Friends? That's it?" He gave me a playful puppy plea look and I shook my head staring ahead as he turned onto a side street. "Okay. We can start there."

"Start?"

"I am going to admit for the first time in my life... I am actively pursuing you and I hope you don't accept anyone elses offer for dinner, or dates, or whatever else..." He trailed off at the end there and I again felt the heat creep up my neck.

Okay so he is actively admitting to wanting to be with me. BUT what does that all entail? I took a breath in letting the thoughts out as I released my breath. I don't need to be thinking of that right now. Fin parked the car along the curb and pointed to the hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant to my right.

"This place is amazing. You are going to love Juan and his son Mikey." Fin got out and I went to open the door, but Fin opened it the rest of the way for me. I slipped out of my seat and onto the tar making sure to avoid contact with Fin. I fear if I get in his vicinity, I'll want to take him up on his active pursuit of me.

Fin and I walked side by side up until we got to the door. When he opened it for me, he slid in step behind me. His hand is placed on the small of my back. "That's not a friendly gesture." I turned back to look at him and he gave me this boyish grin and held his hands up.

"Sorry, I'll be good. Promise." I could tell he meant it with good intentions, but I could see the glint in his eyes. "Come on, I'll show you what I get and the secret menu."