Five

Finnlay's POV 

Mikey brought our food over to us on a tray and set it all down on the table. I peeked up at Bree to see her eyeing all the food on the table. I picked up a nacho and immediately shoved it into my mouth. The Mexican flavors hit my soul immediately. Bree gave me a little smirk as I did that and I licked my lips feeling the string of cheese that landed on my chin. Most definitely what she noticed and I decided to make a show of my tongue.

She blushed a bit and brought her plate closer to her area. Bree got a burrito while I got a combo meal. I got the chimichangas, the Mikey Mini bowl, and a side of quesadillas. We are also splitting the nachos. Bree reached over for a nacho, grabbing one more towards the middle. "Have you been here since you've moved here?" She shook her head, seeing how her mouth was filled with her bite. "Well then I'm glad I broke your 'The Juan Mexican' virginity." She coughed in a sense of choking on her own spit and gave her the mexican soda I told her to try.

I saw the blush dot along her tan cheeks as she looked over to me. "I mean I guess that's a way to put it." She shook her head and picked up her burrito before taking a bite. I raised an eyebrow in admiration. First date and the girl gets a burrito. Down right amazing.

I shrugged at her comment and continued to work on the high plate of nachos. The place is busy for a Wednesday dinner. Juan was out back working the girl and Mikey was running around. I was able to briefly catch up with them both while we did our order. I'm sure they were both curious to know who Bree was. I didn't introduce her.

"How long has this place been open and how long have you been coming?"

"I grew up with Mikey. We always played ball in the local park. Unfortunately we went to different schools which was a bummer. His dad opened the restaurant when their mom died in a car accident. It was a bad wreck and she always wanted to open a place with her recipes. So Juan, instead of taking his time to grieve, pushed through and bought this place and started creating a menu." Bree nodded thoughtfully and reached for the plate of nachos.

After dinner Bree and I sat talking in our booth for a bit about things. She asked me questions about making it to the MLB and that journey and I could tell from the way she drew small circles on the table she was nervous about getting involved with me. It was something I noticed my mom also did when I first mentioned being drafted by the Padres.

Major Leagues isn't for everyone. The fans, the schedule, the training, the traveling, the lifestyle... it can get busy. It can get demanding and physically draining. I've seen it happen to some great players. They lost their significant others due to our lifestyle. Is that what I wanted from Bree? Did I want to start setting roots down with someone?

I've been solo since high school. During high school I realized that my baseball training and schedule, because I was so invested, didn't leave me much time to socialize. I learned then that my time was better spent with my bros and honestly having one night stands. Relationships haven't been my go to since I was a teenager.

Bree was interested in my life down in San Diego. Not sure if she's been that south in California yet. I also learned that Bree got the apartment and job in May and has been working with my mom since. She's a junior - no a senior in college for marketing and business and will graduate this May. Bree used to have a roommate named Winnie, who she told me she really misses. She hasn't seen her since April before they split.

Bree has lots of ideas on how to promote and redesign my mom's store. She's also interning for my mom, I found out. Bree is quite the woman. As we drove back in the truck, I really wished I did have my dad's old truck. I know Bree said this was a friendly dinner, but to be able to reach over and put my hand on her knee, or thigh who am I kidding. I tapped my fingers on the dash, as my wrist steered the wheel, and hoped that when I dropped her off I could touch her or kiss her. Or have her kiss me.