Twenty-One

Finnlay's POV 

It's our last game before we head to Chicago for the All Star game. Before the national anthem today we did a whole showcase of the guys who are off to play and got our jerseys to take pictures with. During one of the commercial breaks Eddie slaps me upside the head.

"What the fuck are you doing running backwards to catch a ball? You know that doesn't end well. Case and point." He nods to the score board and I rolled my eyes seeing the other team up by five runs. Three let in by my fuck up in the outfield. Not my fault they had the fucking flash on first base.

"Whatever."

"No not whatever, have you still not talked to Bree?" Brody asked. I shrugged and began my jog back to my position.

"We talked this morning. Wasn't good." Was my only response. I don't know what to do to get to her. I can't even go and see her before flying out. Hell, I don't think she's even coming to Chicago.

The rest of the game flew by. I tried to get out of my head, but not much more came my way. Everything else was either right or Alec stopped it.

This past week has been brutal. I haven't been sleeping well and because of that I have been moody as all hell. The guys have noticed and have mentioned they'd get the help of their girls but I don't want to overwhelm Bree. I could hear the damn sobs she was trying to hold back today and it made me so furious that her past life, her parents have left her without knowing or understanding love.

I do love that woman. I swear I am going to marry her one day. My BG. Bree Geraldi. It flows so well.

"So what is actually up and don't give me this bullshit excuse." Brody said, walking up to me at my cubby. I sighed and leaned back on my chair. "You've been in a shit mood and in a slump. If you keep this up at the all star game people are going to start shitting on you."

"Brody..."

"No, don't Brody me. Is this something I need to help you fix or..."

"Bree is struggling with this."

"As in you two or?"

"Or what?" I looked over at Brody and he rolled his eyes.

"How about the fact that I see the way you look at her. I mean you call her BG now. Bree Geraldi? That's not hard to figure out. You love this woman. Does that freak her out? Did you say it? Is you not saying it freaking her out?"

"Okay okay..." I rubbed my face from exhaustion and tossed my hat into my cubby. "I just... she doesn't trust me. Leaving her here alone... I tried to keep in contact, tried to make sure she knew I am coming back to her, but I think social and her past got into her mind. She's nervous... I don't know how to help. Her friend Winnie secretly got my number and texted me that she was with her." I showed him the text I found when I got into the locker room and he nodded.

"Okay so this is manageable. She's spooked. Just let her come back to you."

"How long do you think?"

"I hope not too long, because seeing you like this hurts me bro." Brody clapped my back as he headed out for the night. I sighed and changed myself before heading home.

Laying in bed that night I caught sight of a few places that are really digging into Bree. They are blaming her for my terrible performances the past month. I mean I have been in my head, but shit don't blame here. Some podcast on the East Coast that mainly covers the Red Sox, talked about how my game is off and the twitter replies they got about how my new girl left me and I'm hurting. Or how I turned to the batties. Then they went on a tangent about batties and puck bunnies and punt bunnies.

It hurts to know that people are talking about her in a negative light. She's battling her own thoughts and mind and I hope she's not seeing any of this.

I went and opened our texting chat and typed in a message.

Goodnight BG. I miss you and I hope you are safe. xx

Sleep well Fin. xo

I don't know if that is really her replying. It might be Winnie. Either way, I feel a bit better knowing there is communication between us now. My mom is still coming to Chicago and will be there only a few hours after we arrive. She will have some things to share I hope and maybe questions for me. I'm just excited to see her and get the comfort I need from my mom.