Twenty

Bree's POV

It's been a week without anything from Fin. I mean I haven't sent anything either, but still. He's back in California and next week is the all star game. This whole week I have felt like a zombie. Since he hung up on me on the FaceTime I haven't been able to find joy in my days. I seem to move at a pace where I am just going through the motions.

Nora tried to ask me but I didn't say much. Fin is a stunning man. He could have anyone and yet he's with me. I haven't been with anyone in quite the capacity that I have with Fin. I have been all in with him. Soaking him up and enjoying and basking in his affection. Then Winnie mentioned love and I got spooked. I've been over thinking everything.

I've been following him online and he hasn't been out with that crazy Turner guy. He's been with Eddie. Just Eddie. That's all I've been seeing online. Then yet these online blogs live and breathe the Padres. I feel like a crazy stalker myself.

Being with Fin made me happy. His connection, conversations, and sexy innuendos made me the happiest I've ever been. I got spooked. Or so Winnie likes to tell me. It's a Sunday, so Fin is playing around four today. It's about 10 in the morning. I'm itching to call him but I don't know what to say. I miss him. I miss him so much it hurts.

But I don't know what the hell is going on with my head. I don't know what to tell him. I really cannot figure out what to do.

My phone's ringing.

My phone is ringing. It's Fin.

Fin is calling me.

I hesitantly picked up and put the phone to my ear. "Fin?"

He blew out a breath and I crumpled into my bed. I miss him. "Bree, sunshine. How, um, how has your week been?"

I gulped and drew circles on the pillow beside me. A habit I found myself doing anytime I have tough conversations with Fin or Winnie. "Not the best."

"I just wanted to hear your voice."

"I don't know what to say Fin. I... I want to go back to what happened while you were on the East coast but..."

"But you're still unsure... unsure about me or us?"

"I think me...." I let out in a faint whisper. "I ... Fin I have to work on myself and figure out why..." I couldn't say it. I know it will hurt him. Crush him if I say it outloud

"Figure out why you can't trust me." He stated in a monotone. I held back my sob and I heard him let out a breath. "Well... um... well..."

"Fin--"

"I just wanted to hear your voice. Know if you're okay."

"I don't want to hurt you."

"I'm a little hurt." He let out. I covered my sob with my palm and held back the cry. I hurt him a lot.

"I know." I let out. I heard him swear off the other line and I shut my eyes really tight to avoid the swarm of tears.

"I... I gotta go to the park, but um... I miss you BG." Then he was gone.

I spent a good amount of time curled in bed letting my tears fall. After I got up to pee I decided to call Winnie. I want to see if she'll come up for a week to be with me while I figure this out.

"Finally you call me back you hoebag." This is how I was greeted and yes it made me laugh. "What do I owe the pleasure?"

"Do you think you could swing spending a week with me up here?"

"Oh Bree... yes. Let me change some meetings to calls and yes I'll be there. I'll be there tonight." She heard the heartbreak in my voice immediately.

⬤⬤⬤

True to her word, Winnie arrived tonight. Her hair is pin straight and strawberry blonde and blows in the breeze of her brisk entry. She is pretty pale compared to me, has freckles and hazel eyes. She burns easily too. However, she is one party animal.

"Okay so step one. We need to get ice cream. Step two we either watch a Zac Efron movie or we watch a Ryan Reynolds movie because they are both hot and funny." In the wind that is Winnie I watched as she tossed her bags into my room before turning to me. "Jesus woman, you look rugged."

"I don't know..." I rubbed at my forehead and looked at her. "Fin called me this morning. I didn't know what to tell him."

"I could tell you what it is." Winnie looked at me with such gumption I was nervous to see what she would say. She's been really in tune with her feelings ever since she found out her fiance was having another baby with another woman days before her wedding. "Yeah no I don't even want your permission I'm going for it. Sit down."

I did as she said and she plopped down on the couch beside me and grabbed my hands. Her hazel eyes met mine with so much promise I couldn't look away. "You have never had someone care for you the way he does. You've never been in a relationship like this. He's famous for sure. But you're freaking out because you don't know how to accept love like this."

I squeezed my eyes shut when she said love. Love is hard for me. I've never let it consume me. "Yes. Look at you. You are afraid of love aren't you?"

"Love hurts."

"So that's it you love him don't you?"