xviii

Denali's POV:
Rosé slightly blushed and strategically hid her face with her sheet music.
"Thank you." She muttered.
"Shall we run it again? Or do you have notes for me."
"Oh no- you are perfect- I mean uh... you're PLAYING was perfect... It was uh- great!"
"I'm assuming I did well?" I giggled.

We rehearsed over and over. My heartbeat got faster and faster. My feelings... got stronger and stronger.
Trying to hide my feelings, were only making them even more apparent. I could barely look at Denali's face without wanting to pour my heart out spontaneously. What is wrong with me?

"Well, the bell's gonna ring for second period soon. Let's just have a break." Denali softly placed her hand on my thigh and we stared into each other's eyes. "Yeah... a break..." I whispered.

"Fit in? Why would you want to fit in when you're so amazing! You have more talent in your pinkie than everyone else has in their whole body, plus you're beautiful. You have what you need, it's their loss. You are perfect Rosé."

"W-we should start being together." Denali muttered. "I'm- I'm sorry?" I gasped.

"Rosé? You're zoning out again."
"What? Oh sorry! What were you saying?"
"W-we should start heading over to class.
Otherwise we'll be late."
"Oh- yeah!  Of course."
"What else did you think I said?"
"N-nothing."

I quickly grabbed my bag and ran out of the classroom. If my heart heated any faster, I sweared I was going to have a seizure. Why did I still have to get so flustered, nervous, head over heels for a girl who not only doesn't like me the same way, but also has a crush on another girl.

Why is love so complicated?

I was making my way through the hallway, overthinking literally everything until I felt someone pull my arm and drag me to the bathroom.
"HEY!" I turned and Denali was looking at me, arms crossed, eyebrow raised.
"Rosé, you're being really weird today. I just want to know what's messing you up."
"Is it that obvious?"
"Extremely."

I sighed and sat on the countertop whilst Denali locked the bathroom door. "It's just us two, so spill."
I crossed my arms and looked away from Denali.
"Look." She took my hands and held them tightly. "You seem really bothered. I care about you so much, please tell me. I want to help."

"Being around you is not going to help."
"W-what?"
I snaked my hands out Denali's and I unlocked the bathroom door. "If you want to help, just leave me alone. Please." I just ran to class and attempted to avoid the others.

"Rosé! You're late!" Said Ms. West
"Yeah- so sorry. It won't happen again."
"It's alright dear, do you happen to know where Denali is? It's unlike her to be late."
My throat tightened.
"Last time I saw her, I- I think she went to the bathroom?"
"Oh okay. Hopefully she'll arrive later. Please open your textbooks to page 78!"

I couldn't help but glance at the door every few minutes. I basically told Denali to piss off with no explanation. She really was trying to be a good friend, but I was being so bitchy.
"Denali! Nice of you to join us!" Said Ms. West

Denali was in the doorway, eyes red. She had been crying. "Yeah- so sorry. It won't happen again."
"Funny, that's exactly what you said." Gottmik whispered to me.
"Are you okay Denali?" Said Ms. West
Denali glanced at me and our eyes locked for short moment. "S-sorry- I need to go!" Denali ran away and I could hear her crying from the hallway.

"Rosé, dear could you please check up on her?"
"I- well-"
"Please. Aren't you two friends?"
"Yeah. We are." I stood up from my seat and ran all around the school. Right when I was about to give up, I suddenly had an idea where Denali could be.

Denali's POV:
I hugged my knees close to my chest. I sobbed my heart out. My little secret spot. Well- it wasn't just my spot, it was Rosé and I's spot. Our spot. The rooftop.

During one break time, years ago, Rosé and I had found a closed off staircase that lead to the rooftop. Since that day, we would go to the rooftop ever so often and watch over the school. This time was different. This time I was by myself.