xxi

Denali's POV:
I looked into reflection and sighed.
My hair wasn't shiny enough.
My lips weren't big enough.
My nose wasn't cute enough.
My teeth weren't white enough.
I wasn't enough.

"Denali? Are you ready?" I heard my mother yell.
"Coming!" I ran out of my bathroom and down the stairs to the kitchen. "Is Rosé at the front?"
"No, she hasn't come yet."
"That's weird." I looked out through a window and Rosé still hadn't arrived. "I guess I'm walking to school by myself."

I took an apple and hastily took a bite before opening the front door.
"Aren't you going to have breakfast darling?"
"No. Don't feel like it." I sighed and walked out of the house. As I walked, I looked all around me and Rosé wasn't at any sort of route to my house.

Great start to the morning.

Rosé's POV:
"So then he literally cried!" Said Gottmik.
"Seriously?! That sucks."
"Yeah! And it was one of the weirdest
things that has ever happened to me."
We both sighed and I closed my locker.
"You're still coming to Vanjie's party right?"
"Of course."
"Amazing."

We couldn't stop looking at each other. My breath hitched and the two of us couldn't stop giggling like idiots.

"Rosé!" I heard Denali yell.
"Oh... hey Nali! What's up?"
"What do you mean whats up? Where were you this morning?"
"What do you mean?"
"We've been walking together to school since fourth grade..."
"Oh! Yeah..."
"It's my fault, Rosé walked with
me to school." Said Gottmik.

"Oh- so you took my seat and you took Rosé
to walk to school this morning. Wonderful."
Denali stormed off.
"Wait- NALI!"
I chased after Denali who started to run.
The girl was fast.

I spent a few more minutes running around the school, looking for Denali. I had no luck.
I eventually looked near the school gardens and I finally saw Denali crying, crying in Jan's arms.
"I just- I just don't understand why it has to be this way!" I watched as Denali snuggled into Jan's chest and the latter stroking her hair to soothe her.
"Calm down Nali... it's okay."

I walked off.

I felt an indescribable feeling. It was anger, sadness, fear. It was overwhelming. It was jealousy. I guess everyone was moving on. I was going off with Gottmik and Denali was going off with Jan.
This was how the cookie was crumbling.

Denali's POV:
"Wait- NALI!"
I ignored Rosé. I was extremely jealous to say the least. I too felt this pain I couldn't describe with words. Mik wasn't doing anything wrong, absolutely nothing wrong, but I was being so bitchy.

I took refuge to the school gardens. I was isolated from everyone, finally alone but my feelings overtook by my conscience. I cried.

"Denali? Why are you doing crying?"
Asked Jan as she sat next to me.
"Rosé is trying to get over me, with Gottmik."
"Oh... that..."

"I'm being replaced. She's taken my seat, she had Rosé walk with her to school. What else could be next. Them dating?! Them dating could lead to moving in together, getting engaged, getting married, living together happily every after with their pet dogs and adorable and gorgeous children!"

"Denali..." Jan opened her arms and I immediately sobbed. "I'm so sorry that this is all happening. All I can say is that what will happen, will happen. If our stories have Gottmik and Rosé ending up together, that's what we'll have to deal with. Just don't lose hope. Please." Jan held my tighter.
"I just don't understand why it has to be this way!"
"Calm down Nali... it's okay."

"I feel like I need to tell Rosé, I need to tell her how I feel. I just need to..."
"I think that's a good idea. This secret is wearing you out Denali."
I thanked Jan and walked to my first class.

I looked around and my friends were huddled together. Talking.
They soon realised I was there.
"Denali!" Said Lemon as she ran towards me. "Are- are you okay? You've been having a rough month so far." I laughed. "Real rough..."
I turned and Rosé and Gottmik were staring right at me. "Nali..." Rosé ran up to me and took me with her to the back corner of the classroom, far from the group and the girls.

"Nali."
"Mhm..."
"What's wrong with us?"
"I could list a couple of things."
"We're not on the same page, things are changing."
"I can tell."
"You know, you're not being replaced."
"Really? 'Cause it really feels like it."
"Gottmik could never replace you. You're Denali."

I felt confused. I was hearing these words being spoken, but I wasn't feeling it. The words felt empty.
"I don't know if you're saying what you want to say. I just want you to be open and honest. You're telling me what I'd want to be heard from you."

I walked away and took my seat in the front.
My heart was racing and I was on the verge on tears.
Calm down Denali... calm down...