Chapter 8: Voices

Kara opened her eyes to see herself in a strange room. It was spacious and bright. She was imprisoned in a cell. Her thoughts began to rush as she recalled what had happened in the vault chamber. She had just committed the most heinous crime in Asgard by raising her blade against her king. "I'm going to die. I'll be executed for this," Kara reasoned.

"NO WEAPON IN ASGARD CAN HARM YOU," a voice said.

"Who said that?" Kara inquired.

"YOU. ME. US" The voice vowed.

Kara shook her head, seeking to drown out the voice. The voice yelled at her to let it out. It abruptly came to a halt, and a new one took its place. This voice sounded calmer and more familiar.

'That is enough! Be gone with you! ....Kara, my child, listens to me. Don't allow the darkness to get the upper hand. It's not a part of you.' It was stated quietly by the new voice.

"Am I going mad?" Kara inquired, defensively.

'No my dear child. I am someone who has been with you the entire time, looking over you. Subduing the darkness we carry."'

"Looking over me? Look at where I am today!" Kara said with a snide tone.

'They brought you here because they were afraid. You were slipping out of control. The darkness was engulfing you. You must learn to balance the scales of justice. You are not an executioner. It is the only way to control the darkness. You must become the goddess you are meant to be.'

"I am not a goddess; I am a brilliant sorceress and mistress of magic," Kara stated, standing motionless and staring at her hands.

'You are both just like me. You are my child. I am Nemesis, the Greek Goddess of Retribution. With my last breath, I bestow this title to you. It's past time you embraced your fate and walked among the gods.'

"How can I put my faith in you? You're nothing more than a voice in my mind. You may be an adversary manipulating me for all I know."

'You're aware of the truth? You can tell there's a distinction between me and the darkness. Accept your abilities, and I'll show you everything.'

Kara closed her eyes and let her thoughts roam. She felt a strange darkness within her. Then she felt a warm light, like it was familiar to her. A part of her that she longed for. She reached for it, but a familiar voice stopped her.

"'Kara?' Loki emerged on the other side of the dungeon from her. When she opened her eyes, she noticed shadows growing around her. They began to fade away gradually as she lost focus. Her focus had shifted to the man in front of her. He seemed exhausted and shattered.

"Loki!" She sprang up and hurried towards him, yearning to feel his arms around her again. Loki held his hand out, causing her to come to a halt in the middle of her journey. Her heart fell when she realized he wasn't there.

"It's an illusion, my love. Don't break it. I'm not sure how long I can hold it," he said quietly.

"My love." Her voice began to tremble. "I'm very sorry. Instead of a wedding, you'll be grieving my death."

"We'll flee. Thor and our friends will assist us. Please be ready at midday tomorrow." He stated that he wanted to speak more but that he could not do so here. No, not yet.

"This is treasonous behavior. You can't do it. If Odin or the guards capture us, it will be the end for everyone." Kara became terrified as she considered everything that might go wrong. "I will not allow it!"

"I will not abandon you, Kara!" Loki screamed. "I love you more than I adore life itself."

"Lokes, my darling. You can't leave your home, your brother, mother, and father behind."

"He is not my father!" he exclaims. Loki screamed.

"Then Frigga isn't your mother? Thor, what about him? Isn't he your brother? You can't deny that you still have family in this world!" She lowered her tone. "I know you're hurting as a result of your father's deception." She lifted her hand to prevent him from interfering. She could see him getting ready to shout at her again for referring to Odin as his father.

Loki gives out a frustrated growl and allows her to continue speaking.

"Lokes, I know you're furious and irritated. I could feel it. You cannot allow this to overtake you. It will put a damper over your heart, my darling. She sighs and says, "I need you to make an attempt to reconcile with your father. Please do not distance yourself from your family." Kara choked on her words, "I need you to accept my fate." I won't be able to be there for you any longer, but I'll be at ease knowing you have a family." She sobbed when she finally admitted her decision.

"Please don't ask me to forgive him, Kara." Panic swelled in his voice, "Asgard will turn their back on you, and we will never be together. I'm not going to let it happen!" Loki admits without understanding he's made a mistake.

"What exactly do you mean? Am I being exiled? I thought attempting to assassinate the King of Asgard resulted in death." For a brief moment, she sensed a glimmer of optimism. Loki, on the other hand, turned away from her. "What are you not telling me!" she enquired Loki. She saw a shift in his expression. "No! He wouldn't do it! Please tell me he didn't do it!

"I'm sorry my love, but your father..." Loki turned to face Kara, who had collapsed to her knees. She shook her head, refusing to listen to him any longer. All he wanted to do was embrace her and comfort her.

"No. This is not possible. I don't want him to die because of my mistake. He can't. No! He can't. Please tell me it's not true. Please don't let my father be executed. I can't go on knowing I'm the reason he's-" she began to let her anguish overtake her, as darkness crept around the cell. Loki felt a great power surge from her, exactly as it had earlier in the vault.

'EMBRACE US!'

"Kara! Listen to his voice! Don't let the darkness devour you!'

"Listen to me, Kara. Listen! I'm not going to leave you alone out there. I'll be there for you. Do you trust me?" Loki's illusion knelt, fixing his gaze onto hers, drawing her back from the darkness that surrounded her. "I can't keep this illusion going much longer. Please be ready by midday. We will rescue you, and then you and I will flee Asgard. Do you trust me?"

"Always," she answered, her voice strained. She stretched out for his hand, only to have him vanish.

'CAN HIS LOVE SAVE YOU?,' mocked the voice.

"The darkness is nothing but your self doubt, don't let it fester, Kara. Fight it!" Nemesis snarled.

Kara closed her eyes and took a long breath, bringing her mind at peace pushing the darkness away. "Can it be removed?" Kara inquired.

'It was a mistake on my part. I tried to remove it from within you but all I did was separate it and give it its own consciousness. I promise you, my sweet daughter, that I will teach you how to manage it. So you may never suffer the same fate as me.' Nemesis lamented.

"How am I supposed to trust what you're saying?"

'You could tell the difference between the darkness and me when you closed your eyes earlier. Do you believe what you felt?'

"Yes."

'Then close your eyes and let the shadows guide you. See the world around you. Accept my gift and become the goddess you were meant to be.'

Kara closed her eyes and let the shadows envelop her. Her body was enclosed by a cocoon of shadows that moved gently throughout her body. She gradually began to notice everything in the realm around her. Loki sat in his sister's chamber, chasing his dream away. Thor was sound sleeping. Odin is seated on his throne. Frigga was pacing around her room. Her father prayed to the Norns. Through the shadows, she could see and hear everyone.

'Sleep, my sweet daughter. 'For tomorrow you will discover who you truly are.'