Chapter 32: Solitary Fantasy

Kara tilted her head to the side. She gazed at Loki. He began peering into her eyes, trying to figure out who was looking at him.

Kara watched as the others came to their senses. Her eyes shifted to Persephone. She hovered above her and yanked her off the ground by the neck, suffocating her.

"Tsk. Tsk. It's rude to try to enter one's mind." Kara tightened her hold around Persephone's neck. Persephone clawed at Kara's hand, attempting to free it while she strained to inhale air.

Thor surged forward, bringing his hammer down to smack Kara over the head, but was stopped by a shield of shadows controlled by Kara.

Thor was flung across the room by the hit. Kara drew the shadows about Thor and utilized them to keep him in place.

"Stay down unless you want to die, pitiful god," Kara cautioned Thor.

Loki rose slowly, his hands up, "You are not Kara or the darkness, so who are you?"

Kara turned her eyes to Loki. She still gripped Persephone by the neck squeezing a bit harder.

"Aren't you clever?" Kara's voice got distorted as she spoke from within her.

"Release her!" Loki spoke with authority.

Kara grinned as she tilted her head "Such power from a low-level god. I can see why she holds you in such high respect. The power of kings flows through vines. It's a pity you'll get in the way of my plans."

Kara conjured a spear-shaped shadow and launched it at Loki, only to halt before it made contact. Wanda appeared next to Kara, using her power and mind controlling her. Persephone was freed from Kara's grasp as Wanda took hold of it consciousness..

Wanda cautioned, "I can't contain it for long. I'll open a pathway for you, hurry!"

Loki quickly placed his hand on Kara's temples, "Hold on darling, I'm coming."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kara was well aware that she was not in New York City, but for all she knew, she was simply strolling aimlessly around the city, passing by nameless strangers. The fact that she was confined to this place did not sit well with her.

She inhaled deeply and attempted to open her consciousness to the outer world. She could hear yelling and recognized the voice; it was Loki.

'Help me! Loki yelled, followed by familiar sounds.

Loki was there! "LOKI!" she exclaimed to him, hoping that it would reach him.

"It's no use. Khaos has cut us off from the others." Dark Kara stepped out from the shadows of the building.

"Khaos? You mean the first primordial god?"

"Your sire, mine." Dark Kara said as her shadowy self danced around Kara.

"You seem elated. Why?" Kara asked.

"Khaos has come to set me free." Dark Kara laughed, " and you will be cast aside for me."

"Then I wish us a swift death." Kara said with a straight face.

"Do you?," Khaos' voice echoed as he approached them. Kara was engulfed in a powerful aura as it approached her from the shadows.

"Sure!"

"I know you." Kara said, staring at Khaos' faceless form.

"Of course you do. I pulled you from the rivers," Khaos stroked his fingers across Kara's face.

Kara jerked away from its grasp. She fixed her gaze on her captor. "It was Dion."

"Was it?" Khaos whispered.