Fourth Year ➪ Dates

"Potter! Weasley! Will you pay attention?"

Professor McGonagall's irritated voice whipped through the large Transfiguration classroom at the end of their Thursday class, making Y/N jump up, then look back to Harry and Ron's seat. 

Harry and Ron, who had been having a sword fight with a couple of Fred and George'sfake wands at the back of the class, looked up, Ron holding a tin parrot and Harry, a rubber haddock. 

"Now that Potter and Weasley have been kind enough to act their age," said Professor McGonagall, sending the pair of them an angry look, as the head of Harry's haddock fell quietly to the floor -- Ron's parrot had severed it moments before -- "I have something to say to you all."

Y/N laughed silently at the boys' childish behaviour and turned back to her professor. 

"The Yule Ball is approaching -- a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth years and above -- although you may invite a younger student if you wish --"

Lavender Brown let out a sharp giggle from the desk beside Y/N and Hermione, earning her a nudge in the ribs from a smiling Parvati Patil, the both of them turning to look at Harry; an action that made Y/N greatly annoyed for some reason.

"Dress robes will be worn," Professor McGonagall continued," and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall. Now then --" 

Professor McGonagall stared deliberately around the class. 

"The Yule Ball is of course a chance for us all to -- er -- let our hair down," she said, in a disapproving voice. "But that does NOT mean, that we will be relaxing the standards of behaviour we expect from Hogwarts students. I will be most seriously displeased if a Gryffindor student embarrasses the school in any way."

The bell rang and the Fourth-years started packing their bags and leaving the classroom. 

"A word, Potter," said Professor McGonagall.

"What did you do now Harold?" teased Y/N quietly when Harry walked past her.

"If you must know, I murdered Malfoy," joked Harry.

"Please tell me you're not being sarcastic right now."

"I wish," said Harry gloomily. "It's probably about this," he raised the rubber haddock he was still holding for some reason.

"Good luck Potter," Y/N laughed, leaving the class with Hermione and Ron.

"What do you think about this dance thing?" asked Ron as they stood in the hall, waiting for Harry.

"It seems like it would be fun," said Hermione, not looking Ron is the eyes.

"Yeah it seems cool," said Y/N, "it's also probably the reason the Moony gave me Grace's dress before the year started."