Fourth Year ➪ Malferret

The storm had blown itself out by the following morning, though the ceiling in the Great Hall was still gloomy; heavy clouds of pewter grey swirled overhead as Y/N, Harry, Ron, and Hermione examined their new course schedules at breakfast

The storm had blown itself out by the following morning, though the ceiling in the Great Hall was still gloomy; heavy clouds of pewter grey swirled overhead as Y/N, Harry, Ron, and Hermione examined their new course schedules at breakfast. A few seats along, Fred, George, and Lee Jordan were discussing magical methods of ageing themselves and bluffing their way into the Triwizard Tournament.

"Today's not bad... outside all morning," said Ron, who was running his finger down the Monday column of his schedule. "Herbology with the Hufflepuffs and Care of Magical Creatures... damn it, we're still with the Slytherins..."

"Double Divination this afternoon," Harry groaned, looking down.

"It doesn't matter how much I missed Hogwarts, I most definitely didn't miss Professor Trelawney," said Y/N

"You should have given it up like me, shouldn't you?" said Hermione briskly, buttering herself some toast. "Then you'd be doing something sensible like Arithmancy."

"You're eating again, I notice," said Ron, watching Hermione adding liberal amounts of jam to her toast too.

"I've decided there are better ways of making a stand about elf rights," said Hermione haughtily.

"Yeah... and you were hungry," said Ron, grinning.

There was a sudden rustling noise above them, and a hundred owls came soaring through the open windows carrying the morning mail. Instinctively, Harry looked up, but there was no sign of white among the mass of brown and grey. The owls circled the tables, looking for the people to whom their letters and packages were addressed. A large tawny owl soared down to Neville Longbottom and deposited a parcel into his lap -- Neville almost always forgot to pack something. On the other side of the Hall Draco Malfoy's eagle owl had landed on his shoulder, carrying what looked like his usual supply of sweets and cakes from home. Trying to ignore the sinking feeling of disappointment in his stomach, Harry returned to his porridge. Was it possible that something had happened to Hedwig, and that Sirius hadn't even got his letter?

His stomach lurched in excitement as an owl flew towards him. Once the owl landed beside him, he saw that it had four letters tied to it's leg, one addressed to Y/N, Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

"Who d'you think they're from?" asked Ron.

Harry shrugged and handed a letter to each of them. He opened his letter and saw familiar handwriting that he missed.

Dear Harry,

It said,

Have a nice school year!

Remus :)

He smiled at the considerate gesture and looked sideways at Y/N, whose letter was apparently longer, because she was still reading it.

"That's very kind of him, isn't it?" said Hermione with a smile.

"I would have expected him to send a letter only to Harry and Y/N not to us too," added Ron.