Fourth Year ➪ The Arrival

Early next morning, Harry woke with a plan fully formed in his mind, as though his sleeping brain had been working on it all night

Early next morning, Harry woke with a plan fully formed in his mind, as though his sleeping brain had been working on it all night. He got up, dressed in the pale dawn light, left the dormitory without waking Ron, and went back down to the deserted common room. Here he took a piece of parchment from the table upon which his Divination homework still lay and wrote the following letter:

Dear Sirius,

I reckon I just imagined my scar hurting, I was half asleep when I wrote to you last time. There's no point coming back, everything's fine here. Don't worry about me, my head feels completely normal.

Harry

He then climbed out of the portrait hole, up through the silent castle (held up only briefly by Peeves, who tried to overturn a large vase on him halfway along the fourth-floor corridor), finally arriving at the Owlery, which was situated at the top of West Tower.

The Owlery was a circular stone room, rather cold and drafty, because none of the windows had glass in them. The floor was entirely covered in straw, owl droppings, and the regurgitated skeletons of mice and voles. Hundreds upon hundreds of owls of every breed imaginable were nestled here on perches that rose right up to the top of the tower, nearly all of them asleep, though here and there a round amber eye glared at Harry. To his surprise, he spotted a figure by one of the windows, petting Hedwig.

"Y/N?" he asked.

Y/N turned to him. "Harry?"

"What are you doing here?" said Harry.

"I -- I came to send a letter to Remus," she said.

"About what?"

"Um. . . nothing in particular," said Y/N rather quickly. "what are you doing here?"

"Sending a letter to Sirius."

Y/N's gaze immediately switched into a scolding one.

"Don't even think about disregarding your dream and telling him not to come."

"Damn, I hate that you know me that well," said Harry. "how did you even do that?"

"I have my ways," she said proudly. "and now. . . Harry, you said that you believe that the dream wasn't just a dream. What? Have you changed your mind?" she added skeptically.

"I do still think that my dream wasn't just a dream but I can't have Sirius coming over here and endangering himself just because my head hurt a bit."

"Harry, he cares about you," she said. "he wants to help you in every way that he can. Wouldn't you endanger yourself for someone you care about? Like Ron?"

"Of course I would!" said Harry instantly. "But this is different, I might just be making this up! If he gets caught because I had a nightmare -- it -- it just wouldn't be fair."