Third Year ➪ Back to Hogwarts

After what felt like forever, the Hogwarts Express stopped at Hogsmeade station, and the chaos was as big as ever; owls hooted, cats meowed, and Trevor -- Neville's pet toad -- croaked loudly from under his hat

After what felt like forever, the Hogwarts Express stopped at Hogsmeade station, and the chaos was as big as ever; owls hooted, cats meowed, and Trevor -- Neville's pet toad -- croaked loudly from under his hat. The soaring wind and freezing rain didn't help either.

"Firs' years this way!" called a familiar voice.

Y/N, Harry, Ron, and Hermione turned and saw the gigantic outline of Hagrid at the other end of the platform, beckoning the terrified-looking new students forward for their traditional journey across the lake.

"All right, you four?" Hagrid yelled over the heads of the crowd.

They waved at him but didn't manage to talk to him because the mass of students pushed them along.

Y/N, Harry, Ron, and Hermione followed the rest of the school along the platform and out onto a rough mud track, where at least a hundred carriages awaited the remaining students, each pulled, by four big black horse-like winged creatures.

Y/N remembered first coming to Hogwarts and finding them quite terrifying, but now, after two years she knows they are actually harmless.

Harry gave Y/N his hand to help her inside the carriage and sat beside her. Thanks to the chocolate Y/N felt much better than she did on the train. The emptiness had disappeared completely but she still felt weak.

As the carriage trundled toward a pair of magnificent wrought iron gates, the four saw two more towering, hooded Dementors, standing guard on either side.

A wave of cold sickness threatened to engulf Y/N again. so she did the only thing she thought might give her comfort, she grabbed Harry's hand, feeling a sense of warmth spread through her body, starting with the point where his hand touched hers. They didn't let go even after they had already passed the gates.

The carriage picked up speed on the long, sloping drive up to the castle; Hermione was leaning out of the tiny window, watching the many turrets and towers draw nearer. At last, the carriage swayed to a halt, and Y/N finally let go of Harry's hand, leaving her hand feeling strangely empty. She stepped out of the carriage, closely followed by Ron and Hermione.

As Harry stepped down, a drawling, delighted voice sounded in his ear.

"You fainted, Potter? Is Longbottorn telling the truth? You actually fainted?"

Malfoy elbowed past Hermione to block Harry's way up the stone steps to the castle, his face gleeful and his pale eyes glinting maliciously.

"Shove off, Malfoy," said Ron, whose jaw was clenched.

"Did you faint as well, Weasley?" said Malfoy loudly. "Did the scary old Dementor frighten you too, Weasley?"

Y/N was just about to fire back at Malfoy but a mild voice started talking, interrupting her.

"Is there a problem?"

Professor Lupin had just gotten out of the next carriage.

Malfoy gave Professor Lupin an insolent stare, which took in the patches on his robes and the dilapidated suitcase.